Why Does Total Internal Reflection Not Occur at the Oil-Water Interface?

In summary, the question asks to find the range of incidence angles that result in total internal reflection at the oil-water interface, given a layer of oil with a refractive index of 1.6 and a thickness of 5 mm floating over water with a refractive index of 1.33. Using Snell's law and considering each interface, there is no incident angle that would result in total internal reflection at the oil-water interface. The critical angle between the air-oil interface is determined and used to find the sine of the angle of incidence.
roeb

Homework Statement

Consider a layer of oil assume n = 1.6 about 5 mm thick floating over a body of water n = 1.33. If a light ray is obliquely incident from air onto the oil surface find the range of incidence angles if any that results in total internal reflection at the oil water interface.

Homework Equations

sin(theta_critical) = n2/n1 when n1 > n2

The Attempt at a Solution

My first attempt would be to say that theta_crit = arcsin(1.33/1.6). However, that is incorrect.

My professor said to use snells law and consider each interface.

1*sin(theta_incident) = 1.6 * sin(theta_2)
n2*sin(theta_2) = n3 * sin(theta_3)
1.6*sin(theta2) = sin(theta_i)/1.33 = sin(theta_3)
However, I can't seem to get anything useful out of this...

The answer is that there is no incident angle that would found. I can see that for the air-oil interface 1.6/1 wouldn't have any critical angle, but why does the oil-water interface not have one as well?

Physics news on Phys.org
Find the critical angle between oil-water interface.
Taking this as the angle of refraction in the air-oil interface find the sine of angle of incidence.

I would approach this problem by considering the refractive indices of each medium and the laws of refraction. I would use the formula sin(theta_critical) = n2/n1 to determine the critical angle for the air-oil interface. However, since the refractive index of oil (n=1.6) is greater than that of water (n=1.33), there would be no critical angle for the oil-water interface. This means that there is no range of incidence angles that would result in total internal reflection at the oil-water interface. Total internal reflection only occurs when the incident angle is greater than the critical angle, which is not possible in this scenario. Therefore, all incident angles would result in refraction at the oil-water interface.

What is an air oil water interface?

An air oil water interface is the boundary between air, oil, and water molecules. This occurs when oil and water are in contact with each other, with air on the surface. It is also known as an oil-water interface or an oil-water boundary.

How does an air oil water interface form?

An air oil water interface forms due to the difference in surface tension between the three substances. Oil and water molecules have a higher surface tension compared to air molecules, so they attract each other and create a boundary where the oil and water meet.

What is the significance of the air oil water interface?

The air oil water interface is important in many natural and industrial processes. It plays a crucial role in oil spill cleanup, where the interface helps to separate oil from water. It also affects the transfer of gases, nutrients, and pollutants between the atmosphere and ocean, and is involved in many biological processes.

How can the properties of the air oil water interface be measured?

The properties of the air oil water interface, such as surface tension and interfacial tension, can be measured using various techniques, including surface tension meters, tensiometers, and pendant drop methods. These methods involve measuring the force required to pull a probe or drop away from the interface.

How does the air oil water interface affect surfactants?

Surfactants, or surface-active agents, are compounds that can lower the surface tension at the air oil water interface. They are widely used in industry, such as in detergents and cosmetics. The presence of surfactants at the interface can alter its properties, such as surface tension and viscosity, and affect the behavior of oil and water molecules.