Creating Air Plasma Conductor Stunner Beam: Is it Possible?

In summary, the individual has proposed an idea for a non-lethal weapon that combines a Tesla Coil and an IR laser. The laser would turn the air along its path into plasma, creating a path for the electrical discharge from the Tesla Coil to flow through and shock the target. The individual is seeking feedback from others on the viability of this idea and clarifies that the intention is to stun, not injure, the target. They also mention that the discussion of dangerous activities is prohibited according to the forum's posting rules.
fadly
i've been thinking about creating some sort of taser like weapon. As we know, taser range is limited by the length of the wire and the weight of the electrode. So it's only usefull over short distance. What intend to create is some sort of stunner beam. Here's how it'll work.

the first part is a Tesla Coil to create an electrical discharge. the problem is, We can't really directed the discharge at the specific target, at least not at a significant range. To that end comes the second part.

The second part is a IR laser. The laser will turn the air along it's path into a plasma. Now the air plasma is an electrical conductor and the electrical discharge from the capacitor bank will naturally favor this path over anything else. That's how i intended to direct the discharge toward a specific target.

So in short, the device will fire a laser into a target (in this case a person) and the air along the laser path will turn into plasma. A short time later, the tesla coil will release a discharge and this discharge will flow through the plasmasized air and into the target and through the target into the ground, which of course will theoretically cause an eectrical shock to the target person.

Now, why i put this here? because i want to ask the physics masters in this forum about the viability of my idea. Now i don't want it to be lethal. I want no more then first degree burn on the target. This device was intended to stun, not to injure. So i beg anyone who have some knowledge about this to give their view. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Please review our posting rules, which are linked at the top of every page. Discussion of dangerous activities is prohibited.

1. Can air be turned into a conductor to create a stunner beam?

Yes, it is possible to turn air into a conductor by creating a plasma state. Plasma is a state of matter in which the electrons are stripped from their atoms, creating a highly ionized gas that can conduct electricity.

2. How do you create a plasma state in air?

To create a plasma state in air, you need to apply a high amount of energy to the air molecules. This can be done through various methods such as using high voltage, intense heat, or strong magnetic fields.

3. What are the potential applications of a plasma conductor stunner beam?

A plasma conductor stunner beam has a wide range of potential applications, including non-lethal weapons, medical treatments, and industrial processes. It can also be used for communication and propulsion systems in space.

4. Are there any risks or dangers associated with creating a plasma conductor stunner beam?

As with any high energy experiment, there are potential risks and dangers associated with creating a plasma conductor stunner beam. These include electrical shocks, fires, and the release of harmful gases. It is important for scientists to take proper precautions and follow safety protocols when conducting such experiments.

5. Is there any ongoing research or development in the field of plasma conductor stunner beams?

Yes, there is ongoing research and development in this field as scientists continue to explore the potential applications of plasma technology. Some research is focused on improving the efficiency and control of plasma stunner beams, while others are looking at new ways to create plasma states in different environments.