How Do the Weight of Batteries Compare to Tanks in Air-Powered Cars?

• Thread starter wolram
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Air Cars
In summary, the citycat air car is coming to North America in 2010 and is based on compressed air. It uses a 340 liter tank at 4350 psi, which is equivalent to about 10.1 MJ of stored energy, and can accelerate to 60 mph in 0.16 MJ. The Air Car is not a good primary energy source, as it wastes a lot of energy in compressing air, and is difficult to miniaturize.
wolram
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
http://www.popularmechanics.com/automotive/new_cars/4217016.html [Broken]

India’s largest automaker is set to start producing the world’s first commercial air-powered vehicle. The Air Car, developed by ex-Formula One engineer Guy Nègre for Luxembourg-based MDI, uses compressed air, as opposed to the gas-and-oxygen explosions of internal-combustion models, to push its engine’s pistons. Some 6000 zero-emissions Air Cars are scheduled to hit Indian streets in August of 2008.

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
You can go to the back of the waiting list then ;-)

Hello,
The citycat air car is coming to North America in 2010, here's the info: citycataircar.com. Tata Motors will be producing the economy model Onecat for the India market in 2009/2010, here's the info: onecataircar.com.
I made these fans sites with the information that I got from the 2008 New York Auto Show. All the other information on the internet is based on the 2006 prototype models with the 90 mile range on air only (or worse, the 2002 prototype that had a range of 7.2 kms/4.3 miles).

This has been a big problem with the information on the Internet regarding the Compressed Air Vehicles from MDI.lu (France).

Confused, are they a hoax , are they exaggerating, have they been independently road tested.

Yes Russ, i read an article in a car mag with no performance figures, just a range of models, it just seemed to me the mag would not bother with them if they were totally
bogus.

Compressed air just isn't a very good way to store energy. First of all, compressing the air is an inefficient proposition, so you lose a lot of energy just in making the compressed gas. Secondly, it's difficult to store a lot of energy in a compressed gas tank without gigantic pressures or huge volumes.

The Air Car we're talking about here for example, uses a 340 liter tank at 4350 psi. That equates to about 10.1 MJ of stored energy, which is equivalent to 0.3 liters of gasoline. I have trouble believing you can get very far on that much energy in a car.

Even assuming the vehicle only weighs 1000lb (453 kg) accelerating it to 60mph would take a bare minimum of 0.16 MJ (not taking into account things like engine and transmission efficiency). That's over 1% of the vehicle's total energy stored, in one acceleration to 60 mph, not including ANY efficiencies or wind resistance.

Last edited:
I'll be visiting them in France this summer (or sooner)

Hello,
I have plans to visit them in France asap, once I confirm that Guy will be available for interviews and I can drive one of the prototypes around. CNN, BBC, Discovery/Science channel drove these vehicles and reported on their ability to travel 90 miles on air only, so they were willing to put their reputations on MDI's "claims".

However, if the cars are not what they claim to be, I will lead/follow the charge to tar-and-feather them.

Mind you, if they can do even half of what they claim, I will be very happy, and no longer polite to people who say that it's not possible or a scam. :cool:

Last edited:
I'm not saying its a scam at all, I'm sure the cars drive and run off of compressed air.

I personally just don't think compressed air is a very good primary energy source for use in a vehicle.

I guess the real comparison is with batteries and electric motors. Air tools are stronger then battery powered ones, but the tanks plug into the wall, and are ridiculously huge in comparison to a drill battery. That is the real problem with an air car - miniaturizing the tank.

I know that compressing air creates a lot of waste heat - but so does charging a battery. Which is more efficient?

A battery powered car has to overcome the weight of batteries before it does any useful work, the same goes for air powered cars, so how does the weight of batteries compare to the tanks? as i see it air powered cars are all about saving weight ,so as long as the tanks can fit into the car package what the heck, i can not envision an air car towing a caravan far though.

1. Are air powered cars actually real?

Yes, air powered cars are real and have been in development since the 1970s. They are also known as compressed air cars or pneumatic cars.

2. How do air powered cars work?

Air powered cars use compressed air as their main source of energy. The air is stored in tanks or cylinders and is released to drive pistons, which turn a crankshaft and power the car's wheels.

3. Are air powered cars environmentally friendly?

Yes, air powered cars are considered to be environmentally friendly because they emit zero emissions. However, the production of compressed air and the energy used to compress it may still have an impact on the environment.

4. How fast can air powered cars go?

The top speed of air powered cars varies, but most prototypes have a top speed of around 50-60 mph. However, with advancements in technology, it is possible for air powered cars to reach higher speeds in the future.

5. Can I purchase an air powered car?

Currently, there are limited options for purchasing air powered cars as they are still in the development and testing phase. However, some companies have announced plans to release commercial air powered cars in the near future.