1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Air pressure lift

1. Jun 24, 2017 #1
    How much air pressure, from six 1inch in diameter pipes, would it take to lift something no more then 250 pounds about six to twelve inches off the ground?

P.S. This is a personal question not, homework.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 24, 2017 #2

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

What is your goal? What are you building?

4. Jun 24, 2017 #3
    I want to build a small platform that will carry small work loads such as wood or metal. (Farm purpose)

5. Jun 24, 2017 #4

JBA

By 1" pipes do you mean 1" inside diameter cylinders with pistons?

6. Jun 24, 2017 #5

berkeman

7. Jun 24, 2017 #6
    My thought was to use something like copper or aluminum pipes/tubing. I just need something simple that can easily be fixed or replaced. What kind of moter could i use to get 240 psi, with it the moter only weighing no more then thirty to forty pounds?

Last edited: Jun 24, 2017
  8. Jun 24, 2017 #7

fresh_42

I guess this is heavily depending on details of design. A Google search "hovercraft technical specifications" brought me a lot to read. Wikipedia has a nice picture of the principle behind. I was surprised, that the pipes don't press the air directly on the ground, but on a bottom plate instead.
    It will probably be determined by the rubber aprons to contain the air. And stability might get a problem.

9. Jun 24, 2017 #8
    Well what i thought of for design was to use nozzles to get a more forceful push of air from the exit points. Would i loss or gain psi from nozzles?

10. Jun 24, 2017 #9

berkeman

11. Jun 24, 2017 #10
  12. Jun 24, 2017 #11

berkeman

If you Google DIY Hovercraft Wheelbarrow, you will see lots of ideas. You could have wheels outside the skirt that the unit settles down on when the motor isn't running.

http://www.vintageprojects.com/go-kart/flying2-150.jpg
    flying2-150.jpg

13. Jun 24, 2017 #12

jack action

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

A hovercraft (with skirt) usually don't have a pressure over 0.5 psi. The higher the pressure, the bigger the leakage, the higher the power needed.

This post might help.

14. Jun 24, 2017 #13
    Well for the project im working on i need it to get at least 200 pounds six or eight inches off of flat ground, so what kind of moter would be best for a skirted craft? (Craft is 4 foot long, 3 foot wide.)

15. Jun 24, 2017 #14

russ_watters

Here's a hovercraft calculator:
    http://www.hoverhawk.com/lcalc.html

I think you will find that your requirements are substantial -- more than you are probably expecting.

16. Jun 24, 2017 #15
    Thanks

17. Jun 25, 2017 #16

JBA

One major issue is to keep in mind is that a hovercraft is a frictionless vehicle that must be restrained at all times when at lift. The slightest ground slope and/or wind can quickly accelerate an unrestrained hovercraft into a dangerous uncontrolled projectile (particularly one with a heavy load).

18. Jun 25, 2017 #17
    Thanks for the help everyone.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted