Air Pressure Lift: Lifting 250 lbs 6-12

In summary, the conversation discusses the construction of a small hovercraft-like platform for farm use, with a weight capacity of 200 pounds and a height of 6-8 inches off the ground. The use of 1 inch pipes, nozzles, and a skirt are mentioned as potential design elements. There is also a brief mention of a suitable motor and potential issues with stability and power. The conversation ends with a reminder to consider the potential risks and challenges of building such a vehicle.
Builder
How much air pressure, from six 1inch in diameter pipes, would it take to lift something no more then 250 pounds about six to twelve inches off the ground?P.S. This is a personal question not, homework.

Engineering news on Phys.org
What is your goal? What are you building?

Drakkith said:
What is your goal? What are you building?
I want to build a small platform that will carry small work loads such as wood or metal. (Farm purpose)

By 1" pipes do you mean 1" inside diameter cylinders with pistons?

Builder said:
I want to build a small platform that will carry small work loads such as wood or metal. (Farm purpose)
Sounds like you should add a skirt, like a hovercraft uses. Otherwise it will take WAY more power to lift the load that high.

Make a Hovercraft Wheelbarrow, like this:

https://theawesomer.com/photos/2013/10/wingman_hovercraft_wheelbarrow_t-300x250.jpg
wingman_hovercraft_wheelbarrow_t-300x250.jpg

Likes russ_watters
JBA said:
By 1" pipes do you mean 1" inside diameter cylinders with pistons?
My thought was to use something like copper or aluminum pipes/tubing. I just need something simple that can easily be fixed or replaced. What kind of moter could i use to get 240 psi, with it the moter only weighing no more then thirty to forty pounds?

Last edited:
I guess this is heavily depending on details of design. A Google search "hovercraft technical specifications" brought me a lot to read. Wikipedia has a nice picture of the principle behind. I was surprised, that the pipes don't press the air directly on the ground, but on a bottom plate instead.
It will probably be determined by the rubber aprons to contain the air. And stability might get a problem.

fresh_42 said:
I guess this is heavily depending on details of design. A Google search "hovercraft technical specifications" brought me a lot to read. Wikipedia has a nice picture of the principle behind. I was surprised, that the pipes don't press the air directly on the ground, but on a bottom plate instead.
It will probably be determined by the rubber aprons to contain the air. And stability might get a problem.
Well what i thought of for design was to use nozzles to get a more forceful push of air from the exit points. Would i loss or gain psi from nozzles?

Builder said:
Well what i thought of for design was to use nozzles to get a more forceful push of air from the exit points. Would i loss or gain psi from nozzles?
If you don't use a skirt, it won't matter whether you try to use nozzles or not. You could only use nozzles if you had a jet engine for thrust.

http://tek-think.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/Human-test-flight-of-a-jetpack-in-Bejing-China.jpg
Human-test-flight-of-a-jetpack-in-Bejing-China.jpg

berkeman said:
If you don't use a skirt, it won't matter whether you try to use nozzles or not. You could only use nozzles if you had a jet engine for thrust.

http://tek-think.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/Human-test-flight-of-a-jetpack-in-Bejing-China.jpg
View attachment 206013
What kind of moter should i use to get a constant 240psi through the system? It would also need to be mobile enough to be easily transported by hand.

Builder said:
What kind of moter should i use to get a constant 240psi through the system? It would also need to be mobile enough to be easily transported by hand.
If you Google DIY Hovercraft Wheelbarrow, you will see lots of ideas. You could have wheels outside the skirt that the unit settles down on when the motor isn't running.

http://www.vintageprojects.com/go-kart/flying2-150.jpg
flying2-150.jpg

A hovercraft (with skirt) usually don't have a pressure over 0.5 psi. The higher the pressure, the bigger the leakage, the higher the power needed.

This post might help.

Likes berkeman
jack action said:
A hovercraft (with skirt) usually don't have a pressure over 0.5 psi. The higher the pressure, the bigger the leakage, the higher the power needed.

This post might help.
Well for the project I am working on i need it to get at least 200 pounds six or eight inches off of flat ground, so what kind of moter would be best for a skirted craft? (Craft is 4 foot long, 3 foot wide.)

Builder said:
Well for the project I am working on i need it to get at least 200 pounds six or eight inches off of flat ground, so what kind of moter would be best for a skirted craft? (Craft is 4 foot long, 3 foot wide.)
Here's a hovercraft calculator:
http://www.hoverhawk.com/lcalc.html

I think you will find that your requirements are substantial -- more than you are probably expecting.

Likes mheslep and berkeman
russ_watters said:
Here's a hovercraft calculator:
http://www.hoverhawk.com/lcalc.html

I think you will find that your requirements are substantial -- more than you are probably expecting.
Thanks

One major issue is to keep in mind is that a hovercraft is a frictionless vehicle that must be restrained at all times when at lift. The slightest ground slope and/or wind can quickly accelerate an unrestrained hovercraft into a dangerous uncontrolled projectile (particularly one with a heavy load).

Likes berkeman
Thanks for the help everyone.

What is air pressure lift?

Air pressure lift is a method of lifting heavy objects using the pressure of air. It involves creating a low-pressure area above the object, which creates a pressure imbalance and allows the object to be lifted with less force.

How much weight can be lifted with air pressure lift?

The amount of weight that can be lifted with air pressure lift depends on the size and strength of the equipment being used. In general, an air pressure lift can lift anywhere from 250 lbs to several thousand pounds.

How does air pressure lift work?

Air pressure lift works by creating a low-pressure area above the object to be lifted. This low-pressure area is created by using a vacuum pump or compressed air to remove air molecules from the space above the object. The resulting pressure imbalance between the top and bottom of the object allows it to be lifted with less force.

What are the advantages of using air pressure lift?

One of the main advantages of air pressure lift is that it requires less physical effort compared to traditional lifting methods. It also allows for more precise and controlled lifting, reducing the risk of injury. Additionally, air pressure lift can be used in tight spaces where traditional lifting methods may not be possible.

Are there any limitations to air pressure lift?

While air pressure lift can be a useful method for lifting heavy objects, there are some limitations to consider. It may not be suitable for lifting extremely heavy objects, as the equipment may not be strong enough to create the necessary pressure imbalance. Additionally, air pressure lift may not be effective in environments with high levels of humidity or dust, as these can affect the performance of the equipment.