Air pressure lift

• Thread starter Builder
  • Start date

Main Question or Discussion Point

How much air pressure, from six 1inch in diameter pipes, would it take to lift something no more then 250 pounds about six to twelve inches off the ground?

P.S. This is a personal question not, homework.

Answers and Replies

Drakkith
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
What is your goal? What are you building?

What is your goal? What are you building?
I want to build a small platform that will carry small work loads such as wood or metal. (Farm purpose)

JBA
Science Advisor
Gold Member
By 1" pipes do you mean 1" inside diameter cylinders with pistons?

By 1" pipes do you mean 1" inside diameter cylinders with pistons?
My thought was to use something like copper or aluminum pipes/tubing. I just need something simple that can easily be fixed or replaced. What kind of moter could i use to get 240 psi, with it the moter only weighing no more then thirty to forty pounds?

Last edited:
I guess this is heavily depending on details of design. A Google search "hovercraft technical specifications" brought me a lot to read. Wikipedia has a nice picture of the principle behind. I was surprised, that the pipes don't press the air directly on the ground, but on a bottom plate instead.
It will probably be determined by the rubber aprons to contain the air. And stability might get a problem.

I guess this is heavily depending on details of design. A Google search "hovercraft technical specifications" brought me a lot to read. Wikipedia has a nice picture of the principle behind. I was surprised, that the pipes don't press the air directly on the ground, but on a bottom plate instead.
It will probably be determined by the rubber aprons to contain the air. And stability might get a problem.
Well what i thought of for design was to use nozzles to get a more forceful push of air from the exit points. Would i loss or gain psi from nozzles?

berkeman
Mentor
What kind of moter should i use to get a constant 240psi through the system? It would also need to be mobile enough to be easily transported by hand.
If you Google DIY Hovercraft Wheelbarrow, you will see lots of ideas. You could have wheels outside the skirt that the unit settles down on when the motor isn't running.

http://www.vintageprojects.com/go-kart/flying2-150.jpg
flying2-150.jpg

jack action
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
A hovercraft (with skirt) usually don't have a pressure over 0.5 psi. The higher the pressure, the bigger the leakage, the higher the power needed.

This post might help.

Likes berkeman
A hovercraft (with skirt) usually don't have a pressure over 0.5 psi. The higher the pressure, the bigger the leakage, the higher the power needed.

This post might help.
Well for the project im working on i need it to get at least 200 pounds six or eight inches off of flat ground, so what kind of moter would be best for a skirted craft? (Craft is 4 foot long, 3 foot wide.)

russ_watters
Mentor
Well for the project im working on i need it to get at least 200 pounds six or eight inches off of flat ground, so what kind of moter would be best for a skirted craft? (Craft is 4 foot long, 3 foot wide.)
Here's a hovercraft calculator:
http://www.hoverhawk.com/lcalc.html

I think you will find that your requirements are substantial -- more than you are probably expecting.

Likes mheslep and berkeman
JBA
Science Advisor
Gold Member
One major issue is to keep in mind is that a hovercraft is a frictionless vehicle that must be restrained at all times when at lift. The slightest ground slope and/or wind can quickly accelerate an unrestrained hovercraft into a dangerous uncontrolled projectile (particularly one with a heavy load).

Likes berkeman
Thanks for the help everyone.