1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Air pressure problem

1. Apr 3, 2014 #1
    The question asks; "Assuming that the density of air is a constant 1.3 kg/m3 and that the air pressure is 1 bar, what is the pressure at the top of a 500 meter high skyscraper?"

I'm having trouble setting something up but here is what I do have;
    Regarding liquids we know that F = (Rho)(height)(g) so I want to say that whatever "causes" the "air to push down" on the ground at 1 bar of pressure should have 500 meters worth of "height" removed from it. So force pushing down = 1 bar and (force pushing down) - 500 meters = answer.
    So (Difference in force) = (density)(g)(height difference) where given density is in Kg/m^3, height is in m and g is m/s^2. Summing up these values we get Kg/m*s^2 Which is equal to a Newton. The atmospheric pressure is Newtons/m^2.
    If I ignore this discrepancy (because the pressure is measuring F/A, and I'm solving just for the force) and solve to problem I end up with a huge number 1.3*8.9*500 which is obviously incorrect. Can someone please steer me in the right direction? thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 3, 2014 #2
    rho*g*h gives you a pressure not a force.

The question is only asking for the pressure so forget everything about forces. Can you convert 1 bar into kPa?

4. Apr 3, 2014 #3
    To elaborate on what paisiello said, your 1.3*8.9*500 is N/m2, or Pa. This is the difference between the pressure at ground level and the pressure at 500 m. What is 1 bar in Pa?

Chet

5. Apr 3, 2014 #4
    1 bar in Pa is approx is 100,000. The difference is 6370. Therefore the answer is .93 bar. (thanks) Just not sure when you say that rho*g*h gives pressure and not force, the units sum to "N" and not "N/m^2."

6. Apr 3, 2014 #5
    If you do the calculation with all of the units then you will see that it gives you a pressure F/A. And you don't sum the units, you multiply them.

7. Apr 3, 2014 #6
    [tex]\frac{kg}{m^3}\frac{m}{s^2}m=\frac{kgm}{m^2s^2}=\frac{N}{m^2}[/tex]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted