Calculating Velocity of Propelled Object Using Bernoulli's Equation

In summary: J or 1.025 kN. Then using the energy equation, I can find that the thrust is 588.2*5.363=2.826 kN. So in summary, the thrust is given by dp/dt = vdm/dt where dm/dt is the time rate of change of mass of the system.
pavadrin
is there a formula which i can use to determine the the velocity of an object propelled by a gas under compression and a fluid?
thanks
Pavadrin

Physics news on Phys.org
pavadrin said:
is there a formula which i can use to determine the the velocity of an object propelled by a gas under compression and a fluid?
Can you clarify? What exactly is the problem you are trying to solve?

AM

Im given a conatainer at a set volume, with an amount of water which is given to me, both in volume and mass. I need to work out the amount of thrust which this vessel could expel, exculding the aerodynamics of the vessel.
thanks

pavadrin said:
Im given a conatainer at a set volume, with an amount of water which is given to me, both in volume and mass. I need to work out the amount of thrust which this vessel could expel, exculding the aerodynamics of the vessel.
thanks
The thrust is given by dp/dt = vdm/dt where dm/dt is the time rate of change of mass of the system.

?? Why not just give us the problem? Is there air in the container? Are you given the pressure?

AM

okay the problem is as follows:
In a container with the volume of 1.5L, 500mL of water is introduced, as well as 100psi of air pressure. Calculate the amount of thrust this vessel will be able to provide if the air and water is allowed to escape through a 5mm opening.
if nobody is able this question, don't stress, and sorry for an inconveniences which may have been a result of my bad post.

pavadrin said:
okay the problem is as follows:
In a container with the volume of 1.5L, 500mL of water is introduced, as well as 100psi of air pressure. Calculate the amount of thrust this vessel will be able to provide if the air and water is allowed to escape through a 5mm opening.
Assume that the water covers the hole. What is the speed at which water will be ejected through the hole? (Hint: look up Bernouilli's equation). Then determine the rate at which mass (water) leaves the container. Then just use F = dp/dt = vdm/dt to determine the thrust.

AM

Andrew Mason said:
Assume that the water covers the hole. What is the speed at which water will be ejected through the hole? (Hint: look up Bernouilli's equation). Then determine the rate at which mass (water) leaves the container. Then just use F = dp/dt = vdm/dt to determine the thrust.

AM
thanks Andrew Mason, ill shall look up the suggested equation and then re-post if i encounter more problems.
thanks once again,
Pavadrin

im not sure on how to apply Bernouilli's equation. What I found on the internet about this eqaution is:change in pressure+change in kinetic energy/volume=0. I do not know how to calculate kinetic energy, but I do know that potential energy loss=kinetic energy gain. If what I have sated about Bernouilli's equation is correct, then I have calculated the change in pressure as being 588.2 kPa or 85.308 Psi, (assuming that the atmosphere pressure outside of the container is 101.3 kPa)

1. What is air pressure?

Air pressure is the force exerted by the weight of air in the atmosphere on a given surface. It is typically measured in units of pressure, such as pounds per square inch (psi) or millibars (mb).

2. How does air pressure affect water?

Air pressure can affect water in several ways. One important factor is that air pressure determines the boiling point of water - at higher altitudes where air pressure is lower, water boils at a lower temperature. Air pressure also plays a role in the formation of weather patterns, such as high and low pressure systems, which can impact the movement and behavior of water in the atmosphere.

3. What is the formula for calculating air pressure?

The formula for calculating air pressure is P = F/A, where P is pressure, F is force, and A is area. This formula is based on the fact that air pressure is the force exerted by the weight of air on a given surface.

4. How does air pressure affect the density of water?

Air pressure does not directly affect the density of water. However, changes in air pressure can affect the density of air, which can indirectly impact the density of water. For example, when air pressure decreases, the air becomes less dense and can hold less water vapor, leading to lower humidity levels and potentially drier conditions.

5. How does water pressure change with depth?

Water pressure increases with depth due to the weight of the water above pushing down on the water below. For every 10 meters of depth, water pressure increases by about 1 atmosphere (14.7 psi). This means that at greater depths, the pressure can become quite high and can have significant impacts on structures and organisms living in the ocean.