Air pressure: water through a straw

In summary, a physics teacher mentioned that it is impossible to suck water through a straw longer than 32 feet due to the limitation of atmospheric pressure. This means that the height difference between the two ends of the straw cannot exceed 32 feet. It is necessary for the straw to be vertical in order for the experiment to work, and it is not possible to create a perfect vacuum with lung suction alone. Additionally, using a straw longer than 32 feet will result in the straw collapsing due to lack of structural strength. This experiment can also be done in water, but the maximum depth is limited by the ability to breathe through the straw.
skorski
I vaguely remember a physics teacher once telling me that it is impossible to suck water through a straw that is longer than 32 feet because the air preassure is not strong enough to push it that high when you create a vacuum in your mouth. I know the mechanics behind sucking water through a straw, so that kinda makes sense to me.

My question is, if it is true, would the straw have to be 32 feet high, or can it be on it's side across a table ( or something to that affect)?

/edit for da_willem. my understanding of the mechanics was by no means worded correctly last time, please correct me if I am still wrong.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Ofcourse it has to be 32 feet (actually 9,81m) high . Are you sure understand the mechanics behind sucking water through a straw?

skorski said:
I vaguely remember a physics teacher once telling me that it is impossible to suck water through a straw that is longer than 32 feet because the air preassure is not long enough. I know the mechanics behind sucking water through a straw, so that kinda makes sense to me.

My question is, if it is true, would the straw have to be 32 feet high, or can it be on it's side across a table ( or something to that affect)?

The straw will work as long as the difference in height between the 2 ends is less then 32ft. When you reduce the pressure above the water in the straw, atmospheric pressure will push the fluid up into the straw. But the atmosphere can only support a column of water 32ft high. So the atmosphere can only push the water up 32ft.

thanks for the verification Integral. Now, I'm going to find 33 feet of straw, and a 33 foot balcony to prove this to my friends who refuse to believe me

In other words, if you were a "perfect sucker" (there's one born every minute!) you could produce a perfect vacuum above the water: there would be no air pressure above it so air pressure on the surface of the water would push it up the straw. It can do that until the weight of the water in the straw (downward) is equal to the force of air pressure (upward). Yes, the straw has to be vertical.

skorski said:
thanks for the verification Integral. Now, I'm going to find 33 feet of straw, and a 33 foot balcony to prove this to my friends who refuse to believe me
Heck, just use a 5-foot (maybe 10 feet) straw (find some rubber or plastic tubing). Your lungs aren't anywhere near strong enough to suck a full vacuum.

Alas, your experiment is doomed. Even presuming you have olympic-level suction ability, the straw will collapse. Any material that is not strong enough to hold a vacuum will collapse.

You can do this in water also. Get a pipe about 3 or 4 foot long and see how far you can go down under water and still breathe. You probabally won't make the 3 foot mark.

Clart pipe

1. How does air pressure affect the flow of water through a straw?

Air pressure plays a crucial role in the flow of water through a straw. When sucking on a straw, the pressure inside your mouth decreases, causing the air pressure outside the straw to push the water up and into your mouth.

2. Why does the water stop flowing when I close off the top of the straw with my finger?

By closing off the top of the straw, you are preventing the air pressure from pushing the water up and into your mouth. Without the pressure difference, the water has no force to travel up the straw and will stop flowing.

3. Can the diameter of the straw affect the flow of water due to air pressure?

Yes, the diameter of the straw can impact the flow of water through air pressure. A wider straw allows for more air to enter, creating a stronger push and faster flow of water. A narrower straw will have less air entering, resulting in a slower flow of water.

4. How does the height of the water source affect the flow of water through a straw?

The height of the water source does not directly affect the air pressure, but it does affect the force of gravity acting on the water. The higher the water source, the stronger the force of gravity and the faster the water will flow through the straw.

5. Can you explain the concept of atmospheric pressure and its relation to water flow through a straw?

Atmospheric pressure is the force exerted by the weight of air molecules in the Earth's atmosphere. When sucking on a straw, you are decreasing the air pressure inside your mouth, creating a pressure difference between the atmosphere and the straw. This difference in pressure causes the water to flow up the straw and into your mouth.