How does the Clair air purifier's e2f filter affect fan sizing?

In summary, the niece is working on a project on air pollution and indoor air quality studies. She thinks the know it all person in the family is her uncle and she is asking him for help with details on air purifier fan sizing. The uncle found this forum and was able to provide a simplified fan sizing calculation.
quantumlover
I recently shifted to South Korea to pursue higher studies and stay with my sister and niece . My niece is working on a high school project on air pollution and indoor air quality studies . Starting with a write up on air pollution and then indoor air quality and effects on health and the remedies . There is a small section on air purifiers and the latest technology where she has uploaded details about this particular Korean brand which we use at home which has some new technology http://go-clair.com/.

She thinks I'm a know it all person and is asking me about details on air purifier fan sizing . This particular air purifier has some e2f filter which is different from the other HEPA air purifier filters I looked up online . Few Korean products are notches above in technology and I need to refer the Korean google/Naver which gives results in Korean and later uses Google translate . Can someone save me this cumbersome process take a look at this website and give me a simplified air purifier fan sizing calculation for this particular Clair air purifier ?

Welcome to PF!

Unfortunately, I don't see any details on that website that would help in fan sizing. If you own one of those purifiers, you will have to measure its performance yourself. You need to know the airflow and pressure drop across the filter.

russ_watters said:
Welcome to PF!

Unfortunately, I don't see any details on that website that would help in fan sizing. If you own one of those purifiers, you will have to measure its performance yourself. You need to know the airflow and pressure drop across the filter.

I used the values which were there on the test certificates of their website . Did a reverse calculation on the assumption that the air purifier has a standard 4 ACH . Apparently its just easy CFM cal and I also figured out that it just has a 5 watt rating fan and the fan size/CFM isn't a factor and the e2f filter fibers were the key factor in determining the efficiency . Basically this particular air purifier operates on a slightly different principle as compared to the normal HEPA air filters . Anyways I'm happy I helped her with the project without sounding dumb and in the process discovered this forum .

1. How do I determine the appropriate size of an air purifier fan for my room?

The size of an air purifier fan is determined by the square footage of the room it will be used in. Measure the length and width of the room and multiply them to get the square footage. Then, refer to the manufacturer's guidelines to find the appropriate fan size for your room's square footage.

2. Can I use a larger air purifier fan for a smaller room?

It is not recommended to use a larger air purifier fan for a smaller room. Using a fan that is too powerful for the room can cause excessive air flow and disrupt the balance of air in the room. This can also result in higher energy consumption and noise levels.

3. What are the consequences of using an air purifier fan that is too small for my room?

If the air purifier fan is too small for your room, it may not be able to effectively clean the air. This can result in poor air quality and potential health risks. Additionally, the fan may need to work harder and run for longer periods of time, leading to higher energy consumption and potentially causing premature wear and tear on the fan.

4. Are there any other factors besides room size that should be considered when choosing an air purifier fan size?

Yes, other factors such as the level of air pollution, number of occupants in the room, and the presence of pets or allergies should also be taken into consideration. For example, a larger fan may be necessary for a room with multiple occupants or pets, while a smaller fan may suffice for a room with minimal pollutants.

5. How often should I replace my air purifier fan if I have the correct size for my room?

The lifespan of an air purifier fan can vary depending on usage and maintenance. However, on average, it is recommended to replace your air purifier fan every 3-5 years. Regularly cleaning and replacing the filters can also help prolong the life of your fan.