What is the average air resistance for a person?

In summary, the average air resistance for a person depends on various factors such as body shape, size, and speed. Generally, it ranges from 0.5 to 1.2 Newtons at a running speed of 8 meters per second. However, this value can increase significantly at higher speeds or with the addition of external factors like wind. Ultimately, the amount of air resistance experienced by a person is unique to their individual characteristics and the environment in which they are moving.
Br0kenS0cial
I can't seem to come up with a decent formula/accepted value for air resistance.

I realize there are things that need to be taken into account, but I am already delving into things way beyond what I've done per the course work, and I don't want to bite off more than I can chew. I understand there is no exact formula for air resistance, but I need a number to find a terminal velocity.

Can anybody give me a ball park figure for an averaged sized person? (m=70kg, A=1.60m)

Physics news on Phys.org
Oh, right. I forgot to include that I was using a value of 0.7 for my drag coefficient. Sorry.

Er. Thanks for the help, you two, but I really haven't got an answer for this.

Is there one?

Well what happens at terminal velocity? It means that the velocity doesn't increase, othewise it wouldn't be terminal velocity. If velocity doesn't increase, there is no acceleration, and that means that the net force of the falling object is zero, which means the Drag Force, D, must equal the weight of falling object.

So D = mg, and looking at the NASA site [tex]D\,=\,C_d\frac{\rho{V^2}A}{2}[/tex],

where [itex]\rho[/itex] is the density of air, V is the velocity of the object in the air, A is the cross-sectional area normal to the flow (or trajectory), and Cd is the drag coefficient.

So combining the two equations

[tex]mg\,=\,C_d\frac{\rho{V^2}A}{2}[/tex].

The rearrange terms and one gets V2 = . . . . . , and V = terminal velocity.

hahah that's just my problem, I'm looking for p.

Think of what happens to the equation in my link when t goes to infinity. And that equation will give you everything you need to find the terminal velocity.

1. What is air resistance for a body?

Air resistance for a body, also known as air drag, is the force that opposes the motion of an object through the air. It is caused by the friction between the object's surface and the air molecules surrounding it.

2. How does air resistance affect the motion of a body?

Air resistance can slow down the motion of a body by exerting a force opposite to the direction of its movement. This force increases as the speed of the object increases, eventually reaching a point where it equals the force of gravity and the object stops accelerating.

3. Can air resistance be ignored in everyday situations?

In most everyday situations, air resistance is negligible and can be ignored. However, for objects with large surface areas or high speeds, such as airplanes or race cars, air resistance can have a significant impact on their motion.

4. How can air resistance be reduced?

Air resistance can be reduced by making an object more streamlined, meaning it has a smooth and curved shape that allows air to flow around it more easily. Additionally, reducing the speed of an object can also decrease the effects of air resistance.

5. What is the formula for calculating air resistance?

The formula for calculating air resistance is Fd = 1/2 * ρ * v2 * Cd * A, where Fd is the drag force, ρ is the density of air, v is the velocity of the object, Cd is the drag coefficient, and A is the cross-sectional area of the object.