How can air resistance be incorporated into the falling particle equation?

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between the velocity of a particle and its distance of falling under the influence of gravity and air resistance. The first part is solved by integrating the equation of motion and rearranging to find the final solution for y. The second part, which involves a quadratic air resistance term, can be solved by making a substitution and using separation of variables or partial fraction decomposition.
pi-r8
"A particle is relased from rest (y = 0)and falls under the influence of gravity and air resistance. Find the relationship between v and the distance of falling y when the air resistance is equal to a) av and b) Bv^2."

I already solved part a by integrating dv/dt = -g - (a/m)(dy/dt) with respect to t to give me v = -gt - (ay/m), and then taking force = m(dv/dt) = -mg-av and rearranging this to give me dv/(g + av/m) = -dt, which I integrated to get (m/a)ln(av/m + g) = -t + c. Solving for c and doing some algebra gives me y = -(m/a)(v -(mg/a)ln(av/mg + 1)) as my final solution for y.

Part b, though, I have no idea how to do. If I try and solve it the same way, I end up with the integral of dv/(g + av^2/m) with respect to time, which I have no idea how to solve. I also have the integral -g-(av^2)/m with respect to time, which I don't know how to solve either. If anyone can help me solve these integrals, or point out an easier way to solve this problem, I'd be most grateful.

Physics news on Phys.org
Does anyone know how to do this? I really need help on this one and it's due tomorrow.

ok, you have

[tex]
m\dot{v}=mg-bv^2
[/tex]

this will be a lot easier to do if you make the substitution

[tex]
v_t =\sqrt{\frac{mg}{b}}
[/tex]

where v_t is the terminal velocity which is when the right hand side of the eq. balances out. subing in v_t we get

[tex]

\dot{v}= g(1-\frac{v^2}{v_t^2})
[/tex]

then from here you can use separation of varbs to get

[tex]

\frac{dv}{1-\frac{v^2}{v_t^2}}=gdt
[/tex]

and simply integrat over v and t.
it may be very helpful to look at the hyperbolic functions most notably that of the arctanh(x).

Thanks man. That helps a lot. Now if only I'd studied hyperbolic functions...

You don't need hyperbolic functions, although that is an alegant way to do it. Another option is to factor the denominator into a sum and difference and then apply partial fraction decomposition. The resulting fractions only have linear denominators and can easily be integrated.

What is air resistance?

Air resistance, also known as drag, is a force caused by air particles colliding with an object as it moves through the air. It acts in the opposite direction of an object's motion, slowing it down.

How is air resistance calculated?

The air resistance formula is: Fd = ½ρv2CdA, where Fd is the drag force, ρ is the density of air, v is the velocity of the object, Cd is the drag coefficient, and A is the cross-sectional area of the object.

What factors affect air resistance?

The factors that affect air resistance include the speed of the object, the density of the air, the shape and size of the object, and the surface properties of the object such as roughness and texture.

Why is air resistance important?

Air resistance plays a crucial role in many real-world scenarios, such as designing vehicles and buildings, predicting the trajectory of projectiles, and understanding the flight patterns of birds and insects. It also affects the efficiency and performance of sports equipment, such as bicycles and race cars.

How can air resistance be reduced?

Air resistance can be reduced by making changes to the shape and surface of an object to make it more streamlined and smooth. This can include using aerodynamic designs, adding fins or wings, and using materials with low drag coefficients. Additionally, reducing the speed of an object can also decrease air resistance.