Air resistance of pine cone

In summary, a 0.25 kg pine cone falls from a branch 20 m above the ground and hits it with a speed of 19.8 m/s if air resistance is ignored. To find the average force of air resistance on the pine cone, one can calculate the kinetic energy it hits the ground with and compare it to the potential energy it should have had, taking into account any energy lost to friction.
get_rekd
A 0.25 kg pine cone falls from a branch 20 m above the ground.

A) With what speed would it hit the ground if air resistance could be ignored?
m= 0.25 kg
g= 9.8 m/s^2
d= 20 m

Ep= (0.25kg)(9.8m/s^2)(20m)
= 49 J
Ek= 1/2mv^2
49J = 1/2(0.25kg)(v^2)
2(49 J = (0.5kg)(0.5 v^2))
98 J = (0.5 kg)(0.5 v^2)
-0.5 -0.5
97.5 J = 0.5 v^2
----------------
0.5 0.5
v^2 = 195
v = 14 m/s
can someone check this for me please?

part b)
If the pine cone actually hits the ground with a speed of 9.0 m/s, what was the average force of air resistance on it?

I am not sure how to solve this problem?
Can someone please walk me through it?

Physics news on Phys.org
For part a I get, using mgh=1/2mv^2, v=sqrt(2gh) = sqrt(2*20*9.8) = 19.8m/s

For part B. Work out the KE it hits the ground with, the KE it should have had, and so how much E is lost ot friction.
Then from Energy = force * distance, you can work out an average force.

is mgh=1/2mv^2=sqrt(2*20*9.8) a shortcut or is that the way that I should setup the problem from the start? What is the 2 for in the equation. I understand that 20 = h and 9.8 = g

anyone?

Kinetic energy = 1/2 m v^2.
Potential energy = m g h
If the object falls from rest (no initial velocity) and no energy is lost to friction, then the easiest way of working out the speed is to assume all the potential energy is converted to kinetic energy. Note that the mass of the object cancels out - the speed something falls at doesn't depend on it's mass.

1. What causes air resistance on a pine cone?

Air resistance on a pine cone is caused by the friction between the air molecules and the surface of the pine cone as it moves through the air.

2. Why do some pine cones fall faster than others?

The air resistance on a pine cone depends on its shape, size, and weight. Pine cones with a larger surface area and lighter weight will experience more air resistance and fall slower than smaller, heavier pine cones.

3. How does air resistance affect the speed of a falling pine cone?

Air resistance acts as a force that opposes the motion of a falling pine cone, slowing it down and reducing its terminal velocity (maximum speed reached during free fall).

4. Can the air resistance of a pine cone be reduced?

Yes, the air resistance of a pine cone can be reduced by changing its shape or size. A more streamlined or compact pine cone will experience less air resistance and fall faster.

5. How does the air resistance of a pine cone affect its trajectory?

The air resistance on a pine cone can cause it to change its trajectory by exerting a force in the opposite direction of its motion. This can cause the pine cone to fall in a curved path instead of a straight one.