1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Air Resistance simulation

1. Sep 12, 2011 #1
    Hi, im currently working on a computer simulation of free falling objects with air resistance..and im having problems computing for air resistance..can you give me the formula on how to compute it and an example please?..thank you :))

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 12, 2011 #2

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Usually for free fall problems one would use the Drag Equation (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drag_equation" [Broken]) to compute the drag force acting on the falling object.

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
  4. Sep 12, 2011 #3

boneh3ad

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Although in general, there is no "drag equation" that applies to everything.

5. Sep 12, 2011 #4
    I have no idea the level of sophistication you desire, but the force of wind typically varies as the square of the (wind) velocity as an approximation for flat surfaces.

I have seen some chart data regarding flat areas (boat windage) and wind resistance for varying wind speeds used for calculating the force on a boat anchor. Such data must also be available for wind stress design on high rise buildings.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook