1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Air resistance

1. Sep 29, 2008 #1
    I'm working on an assignment that has to do with air resistance and unsure if my approach in correct. So, can someone please check my work?

For the first part I have to draw force diagrams that shows when the object is just dropped, halfway to terminal speed, and after it has reached terminal speed.

This is what I did:

When the object is just dropped the only force is weight.
    When it's halfway to terminal speed I'm guessing Fdrag = 1/2 mg
    After terminal speed, Fdrag = mg

For the next part I have to sketch graphs for position, velocity, and acceleration of the objects starting from justn dropped to reaching terminal velocity.

My scanner doesn't always work so I'll find graphs that look like what I think they look like.

Position v. t looks like 1/x in the first quadrant
    velocity v. t looks like x1/2, the curve is becomming less steep
    acceleration v. t looks like position v. t

I'm shaky on motion graphs, so it'll be nice if someone can explain to me in detail about everything that went wrong in what I think the graphs look like.
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?
Draft saved Draft deleted