1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Air resistance

1. Sep 8, 2010 #1
    1. Wile E Coyote, armed with ACMETM-brand rocket-propelled rollerblades, is at it again trying to catch his nemesis Road Runner. Suppose the ground velocities, in hundred miles per hour, of the twosome are described by the equations below:
    Wile E Coyote: v'=200-8v2
    Road Runner: v'=160-5v2

(a) Without solving the 2 equations, determine whether Wile E could (finally) catch Road Runner. What is his maximum velocity (i.e. his limiting velocity)?
    (b) Solve Wile E's equation to find his velocity as a function of time. You may leave your answer in implicit form.

2. Relevant equations

(a)vL = [tex]\sqrt{200/8}[/tex]
    vL = 5 mi/hr

(b) i know for this question you have to apply impartial fractions to find the solution but i need help setting it up

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 9, 2010 #2

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Careful, [itex]v[/itex] is measured in hundreds of miles/hour :wink:

Well, what kind of differential equation is [itex]\frac{dv}{dt}=200-8v^2[/itex]? (is it ordinary? what is its order? Is it separable?) What method(s) have you been taught to solve that type of DE?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook