How can I design an efficient air ring main system for an aquarium?

In summary: You might also want to try a larger diameter tube, like 10mm or even 12mm. This would provide a larger distance between the compresor and the air stones, which would reduce the dropoff.
simulation1
Hi there

I don't know if this is the correct forum to be posting in, but I am sure that with all the expert physics gurus on here, someone can help me with this basic project.

I am trying to build an air ring main system for an aquarium.

I previously had the system setup as follows:

http://img843.imageshack.us/img843/1549/ringmain1.png

The Brown Box represents the Air Compressor. The Blue Boxes represent the Air Stones.

A friend suggested I design a ringmain for better performance, as I was going to be experiencing 'drop off' in the pressure between the first and last air stones.

I therefore made the following setup:

http://img31.imageshack.us/img31/6917/ringmain2.png

What I am finding now is that I am getting increased air supply through air stones 2 and 7.

Any suggestions on how to best design the ring main in order to supply an even air supply to all air stones.

Is the fact that I have dual supply lines an issue? Is there a conflict caused at the red indications on the diagram?

Thanks
Simon

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
If you look again at your two pictures you will notice that the air supply goes to stone 1, then 2, then 3 for both, so you still get the dropoff from first to last stones with the air ring. All things being equal the length of tube between the dual supply lines and the tube between stones 4 and 5 are superfluous.

If stones 2 and 7 exhibit too much air then use a smaller diameter tube from the main line to these two stones.

Compressed air or water - you would normally see such a system using a manifold to distribute the flow (pressure) evenly to the drops.

My (intuitive) suggestion... Try a manifold that has slightly more cross sectional area than the sum of all the drops.

Quick check on sensitivity to elevation: Put 2 & 7 slightly deeper than others and observe result.?

Any suggestions on how to best design the ring main in order to supply an even air supply to all air stones.

I would think you'd want them all same distance from compresor

feed compressor's two output tubes into middle of your lines 1-4 and 8-5, using equal length tubes.

Hi guys,

Thanks for the responses.

256bits - I am using as small a pipe as is possible, 5mm silicon tubing.

Bandit127 - I am sure that a manifold or multivalve pump would work perfectly, but I was trying for as cheap a setup as possible ;-)

Jim hardy - Thanks, your suggestion seems to have worked. I have now recofigured the ringmain as follows:
http://img21.imageshack.us/img21/6917/ringmain2.png

I seem to be getting much better and even air flow from all air stones currently.

Si

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is an air ring main for aquarium?

An air ring main for aquarium is a system of tubing that is installed along the perimeter of an aquarium to provide a continuous flow of air to the tank. This air flow helps to oxygenate the water and create a healthy environment for aquatic life.

2. How does an air ring main work?

The air ring main works by connecting an air pump to the tubing and creating a constant flow of air through the system. The air travels through the tubing and exits through small holes or slits, creating bubbles in the water. These bubbles help to circulate the water and increase oxygen levels.

3. Do I need an air ring main for my aquarium?

While it is not necessary to have an air ring main for every aquarium, it can be beneficial for certain types of tanks. For example, tanks with large numbers of fish or high oxygen demand plants may benefit from the increased oxygenation provided by an air ring main.

4. How do I install an air ring main for my aquarium?

Installing an air ring main is a relatively simple process. First, you will need to measure the perimeter of your aquarium and purchase enough tubing to reach around it. Then, attach the tubing to an air pump and run it along the perimeter of the tank, securing it in place with suction cups or clips. Finally, connect the tubing to an air stone or diffuser and adjust the air flow as needed.

5. Are there any maintenance requirements for an air ring main?

An air ring main does not require much maintenance, but it is important to regularly clean the tubing and air stone to prevent clogs and ensure proper air flow. Additionally, you may need to periodically adjust the air flow to maintain optimal oxygen levels in your aquarium.