1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Air sacs fish problem

1. Nov 2, 2007 #1
    I don't know why I can't set up this proportion correctly.

A fish maintains its depth in fresh water by adjusting air contents in air sacs in its body. With its air sacs fully collapsed the fish has a density of 1.08 g/cm^3.

To what fraction of its expanded body volume does it need to inflate its air sacs to reduce its density to that of the water.

I can't seem to set this up. It is asking for [tex]\frac{V_{empty}}{V_{max}} [/tex] I know that [tex]\rho =m/V[/tex] [tex]\rho_w=\frac{1g}{cm^3}[/tex] and [tex]\rho_{fish}=1.08\frac{g}{cm^3}[/tex]

I am not sure what my problem is right now. Anyine have a hint?

Am I an idiot for not getting this?
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 2, 2007 #2
    Work with two variables. Yo should get it.
  4. Nov 2, 2007 #3
    I'm sorry? I don't follow.

5. Nov 2, 2007 #4
    Okay one way could be:
    Assume final volume (after expansion) be y, and the volume of air inhaled be x. You need to find x/y.
    Set up relations from given data.
  6. Nov 2, 2007 #5
    The volume of air inhaled IS the volume of the sacs after expansion isn't it?

7. Nov 2, 2007 #6
    Assuming density of air to be negligible, mbefore expansion = mafter expansion.
    Relate x and y using densities and above assumption.
  8. Nov 2, 2007 #7
  9. Nov 2, 2007 #8
    Okay I know that the answer is .074 from the back of the book.

I used [tex]\frac{m/V}{m/V'}=\frac{1}{1.08}[/tex] which gets me[tex]\frac{V'}{V}= .9259[/tex] but that is not quite it..I have to subtract that number from 1 to get .074. So I am clearly misunderstanding the question.

Why do I need to do 1-V'/V ? Is it because V'/V is the part of the sacs IN USE and the entire air sac is 1?

10. Nov 2, 2007 #9
    Think and realize, what is your V and V' in the formula?
    It is mis-typed I guess.. not 11.08.. it is 1.08
  11. Nov 2, 2007 #10
    V' is the volume after inhalation and V is volume before inhalation.

oops I forgot \frac. I edited it. I used 1/1.08 since density of h20= 1g/cm^3
  12. Nov 2, 2007 #11
    Really?? If V' is total volume after inhalation, and V before it.. how come V'/V is less than 1?? After inhalation, volume of the fish should increase isnt it??
  13. Nov 2, 2007 #12
    Pkay...let me start over.
    [tex]\rho[/tex] before inhale=1.08 [tex]\rho'[/tex] after inhale =1
    [tex]\Rightarrow \frac{m/V}{m/V'}=\frac{1.08}{1}[/tex]
    [tex]\Rightarrow \frac{V}{V'}=\frac{1}{1.08}=.9259[/tex]

This is the fraction of V'/V
  14. Nov 2, 2007 #13
    now, what you are asked?
  15. Nov 2, 2007 #14
    I am asked "To what fraction of its expanded body volume does it need to inflate its air sacs to reduce its density to that of the water.

I am still trying to make the conection between V'/V-->1-(V'/V)

Can you put 1-(V'/V) into words.....I would like to understand this better for future problems.

Thanks for your help thus far!

16. Nov 2, 2007 #15
    It is not 1 - (V'/V) .. rather it is 1 - (V/V'). (Note that V/V' = 0.9259, see your second last post.)
    Now 1 - (V/V') = (V' - V)/V'.
    V' = Final Volume of the fish after inhaling (i.e., expanded body volume)
    V' - V = Final Volume of the fish (after inhaling) - Initial Volume of the fish (before inhaling) = Volume of air inhaled.

So, it is 1 - (V/V'), that you were asked!
  17. Nov 2, 2007 #16

Ahhh. I think I see it now. I need to let this soak in a little. Thanks saket!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?