How Do Fish Adjust Their Buoyancy with Air Sacs?

• Thread starter Saladsamurai
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Air
In summary, the fish maintains its depth in fresh water by adjusting air contents in air sacs in its body.
Saladsamurai
I don't know why I can't set up this proportion correctly.

A fish maintains its depth in fresh water by adjusting air contents in air sacs in its body. With its air sacs fully collapsed the fish has a density of 1.08 g/cm^3.

To what fraction of its expanded body volume does it need to inflate its air sacs to reduce its density to that of the water.

I can't seem to set this up. It is asking for [tex]\frac{V_{empty}}{V_{max}} [/tex] I know that [tex]\rho =m/V[/tex] [tex]\rho_w=\frac{1g}{cm^3}[/tex] and [tex]\rho_{fish}=1.08\frac{g}{cm^3}[/tex]

I am not sure what my problem is right now. Anyine have a hint?

Casey

Am I an idiot for not getting this?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Work with two variables. Yo should get it.

saket said:
Work with two variables. Yo should get it.

I'm sorry? I don't follow.

Casey

Okay one way could be:
Assume final volume (after expansion) be y, and the volume of air inhaled be x. You need to find x/y.
Set up relations from given data.

Last edited:
The volume of air inhaled IS the volume of the sacs after expansion isn't it?

Casey

Assuming density of air to be negligible, mbefore expansion = mafter expansion.
Relate x and y using densities and above assumption.

Saladsamurai said:
The volume of air inhaled IS the volume of the sacs after expansion isn't it?

Casey

yes!

Okay I know that the answer is .074 from the back of the book.

I used [tex]\frac{m/V}{m/V'}=\frac{1}{1.08}[/tex] which gets me[tex]\frac{V'}{V}= .9259[/tex] but that is not quite it..I have to subtract that number from 1 to get .074. So I am clearly misunderstanding the question.

Why do I need to do 1-V'/V ? Is it because V'/V is the part of the sacs IN USE and the entire air sac is 1?

Casey

Last edited:
Saladsamurai said:
I used [tex]\frac{m/V}{m/V'}={1}{1.08}[/tex] which gets me[tex]\frac{V'}{V}= .9259[/tex]

Think and realize, what is your V and V' in the formula?
It is mis-typed I guess.. not 11.08.. it is 1.08

Last edited:
saket said:
Think and realize, what is your V and V' in the formula?
It is mis-typed I guess.. not 11.08.. it is 1.08

V' is the volume after inhalation and V is volume before inhalation.

oops I forgot \frac. I edited it. I used 1/1.08 since density of h20= 1g/cm^3

Really?? If V' is total volume after inhalation, and V before it.. how come V'/V is less than 1?? After inhalation, volume of the fish should increase isn't it??

Pkay...let me start over.
[tex]\rho[/tex] before inhale=1.08 [tex]\rho'[/tex] after inhale =1
[tex]\Rightarrow \frac{m/V}{m/V'}=\frac{1.08}{1}[/tex]
[tex]\Rightarrow \frac{V}{V'}=\frac{1}{1.08}=.9259[/tex]

This is the fraction of V'/V

now, what you are asked?

I am asked "To what fraction of its expanded body volume does it need to inflate its air sacs to reduce its density to that of the water.

I am still trying to make the conection between V'/V-->1-(V'/V)

Can you put 1-(V'/V) into words...I would like to understand this better for future problems.

Thanks for your help thus far!

Casey

It is not 1 - (V'/V) .. rather it is 1 - (V/V'). (Note that V/V' = 0.9259, see your second last post.)
Now 1 - (V/V') = (V' - V)/V'.
V' = Final Volume of the fish after inhaling (i.e., expanded body volume)
V' - V = Final Volume of the fish (after inhaling) - Initial Volume of the fish (before inhaling) = Volume of air inhaled.

So, it is 1 - (V/V'), that you were asked!

saket said:
Now 1 - (V/V') = (V' - V)/V'.
V' = Final Volume of the fish after inhaling (i.e., expanded body volume)
V' - V = Final Volume of the fish (after inhaling) - Initial Volume of the fish (before inhaling) = Volume of air inhaled.

So, it is 1 - (V/V'), that you were asked!

Ahhh. I think I see it now. I need to let this soak in a little. Thanks saket!

Casey

1. What are air sacs fish and what is their purpose?

Air sacs fish are a type of fish that have specialized air-filled sacs in their body. These sacs act as a buoyancy control system, allowing the fish to adjust their position in the water and maintain neutral buoyancy. This helps them swim more efficiently and conserve energy.

2. What is the "air sacs fish problem"?

The "air sacs fish problem" refers to a condition where the air sacs in certain fish species become filled with gas and unable to release it, causing the fish to become unable to swim and eventually die. This condition is often seen in aquarium fish and can be caused by various factors, such as poor water quality, bacterial infections, and genetic predisposition.

3. How can I prevent air sacs fish problem in my aquarium?

To prevent the air sacs fish problem in your aquarium, it is important to maintain good water quality by regularly testing and changing the water. It is also helpful to provide proper filtration and aeration for the tank. Additionally, avoid overfeeding and overcrowding the tank, as these can lead to excess waste and stress for the fish.

4. Can air sacs fish problem be treated?

Yes, in some cases, the symptoms of air sacs fish problem can be treated. It is important to first identify and address the underlying cause, such as improving water quality and treating any infections. Providing a healthy diet and supplementing with vitamins and minerals can also help improve the fish's condition. However, it is important to note that some cases may be irreversible and may require euthanasia to prevent suffering.

5. Are all fish susceptible to air sacs fish problem?

No, not all fish are susceptible to the air sacs fish problem. This condition is more commonly seen in certain species, such as goldfish, bettas, and gouramis. It is important to research the specific needs and vulnerabilities of the fish species you plan on keeping in your aquarium to prevent any potential health issues.