Are Airships Making a Comeback for Cargo Transport?

• Thread starter Jim M
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Air Ships
In summary, the conversation discusses the potential comeback of Zeppelins or Airships for cargo transport. Some argue that they could be more efficient in terms of environmental impact and construction and operational costs, but others question their ability to carry bulk cargo. There has been mention of a heavy lifter airship, but it may face limitations due to weather conditions. Additionally, there are concerns about the control of airships in strong winds.
Jim M
Has anyone seen the recent new in the last couple of years about the comeback potential of the Zeppelins or Airships?
There seems to be a good argument about the efficiency of these ships in regards to cargo transport.
I can see the environmental impact and perhaps the construction costs and operational expense benefits, but I’m still wrapping my mind around the load characteristics of lighter than air vessels carrying bulk cargo.
Has anyone had any experience in this area? What are the restrictions or limitations that are preventing them now?

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, they are slow and have to be enormous to carry much weight. And I'm not sure they really are very efficient.

They heavy lifter airship (I can't remember the name) has been brought up a few times. The plans to date all look very nice but all seem to miss the basic points that made dirigibles extinct in the first place. I believe one of them is looking at severely limiting its operating area to make the most of calm weather. The now deceased Cargolifter was going to use a keel as it's main structural member which I assume allowed them to advertise such large load capacities.

http://www.aerospace-technology.com/projects/cargolifter/ [Broken]

http://www.deagel.com/library/SkyHook-JHL-40-Heavy-Lift-Rotorcraft_m02008070800005.aspx

Last edited by a moderator:
FredGarvin said:
They heavy lifter airship (I can't remember the name) has been brought up a few times. The plans to date all look very nice but all seem to miss the basic points that made dirigibles extinct in the first place. I believe one of them is looking at severely limiting its operating area to make the most of calm weather. The now deceased Cargolifter was going to use a keel as it's main structural member which I assume allowed them to advertise such large load capacities.

http://www.aerospace-technology.com/projects/cargolifter/

http://www.deagel.com/library/SkyHook-JHL-40-Heavy-Lift-Rotorcraft_m02008070800005.aspx

That was one of my thoughts, that these were fair weather only ships. I don't think they have resolved that problem since it is fairly inherint to the concept of lighter than air designs. I would think that even a strong wind would extremely limit the control of an Airship.

What is an air ship?

An air ship, also known as a dirigible or blimp, is a type of aircraft that is lifted and propelled by gas-filled bags. It is typically much larger and slower than traditional airplanes, and can be used for various purposes such as transportation, surveillance, and advertising.

Why are air ships making a comeback?

Air ships are making a comeback due to advancements in technology and the growing demand for sustainable transportation options. With the development of more efficient and eco-friendly engines, air ships are becoming a viable option for transportation and cargo delivery. Additionally, their ability to hover and maneuver in a stationary position makes them useful for surveillance and other tasks.

What are the benefits of using air ships?

Air ships have several benefits, including their ability to travel long distances without refueling, their low environmental impact, and their versatility in terms of uses. They also have a relatively low cost of operation compared to traditional airplanes.

What are the potential drawbacks of air ships?

One potential drawback of air ships is their slow speed compared to airplanes. They also have limited carrying capacity and are more susceptible to weather conditions. In addition, the initial cost of building an air ship can be quite high.

How are air ships different from airplanes?

Air ships and airplanes are different in several ways. Air ships use gas-filled bags for lift and propulsion, while airplanes use wings and engines. Air ships also have a much slower speed and are able to hover in one place, while airplanes are designed for faster travel. Additionally, air ships have a much lower carbon footprint and can carry heavier loads than airplanes.