Maximizing CFM Potential: Calculating Air Tank Capacity and Volume Differences

In summary, the conversation is discussing the difference between a 10 gallon air tank and a 10 pound tank. The volume difference is around 1.4 gallons, with the 10 gallon tank being roughly 70 pounds compared to the 20 pound propane bottle. Figuring out the CFM potential for the given volume is dependent on factors such as orifice size, regulator design, and thermal conductivity, making it difficult to provide a specific number.
281mustang
Say I have a 10 gallon air tank, how would I figure out the CFM potential for the given volume?

Also, what is the volume difference between a 10 gallon tank and 10 lbs. tank?

Physics news on Phys.org
281mustang said:
Say I have a 10 gallon air tank, how would I figure out the CFM potential for the given volume?

Also, what is the volume difference between a 10 gallon tank and 10 lbs. tank?

Apparently "ten pound tanks" are sold commercially and have a nominal capacity for ten pounds of compressed gas, usually CO2 at a working pressure of around 1800 psi.

At that pressure at room temperature, CO2 has a density of around 860 kg per cubic meter.

10 pounds is around 4.5 kg. A cubic meter is 1000 liters, so a ten pound tank works out to about 5.2 liters -- somewhere around 1.4 gallons. [If you trust my calculations]

So a 10 gallon tank is going to be roughly a 70 pound tank.

Given the size of a 20 pound propane bottle, those numbers seem to be in the right ball park.

CFM... That's a question of orifice size, regulator design and, to some extent, thermal conductivity. One assumes that you're talking about cubic feet of gas produced at STP. There are physics principles involved, but too many variables to be able to provide a meaningful number from first principles. (Explosive release would give you one boatload of cubic feet in quite a bit less than a minute).

1. What is an air tank CFM potential?

An air tank CFM potential refers to the maximum capacity of an air tank to deliver air in cubic feet per minute (CFM). This indicates the amount of air that can be delivered by the tank to power various tools or equipment.

2. How is air tank CFM potential calculated?

The air tank CFM potential is calculated by multiplying the tank's volume in cubic feet by its pressure rating in pounds per square inch (PSI), and then dividing by the time it takes for the tank to refill. This calculation provides an estimate of the tank's CFM potential.

3. What factors affect air tank CFM potential?

Several factors can affect an air tank's CFM potential, including the tank's size, pressure rating, and the type of compressor used to refill the tank. Other factors such as temperature, humidity, and altitude can also affect the tank's performance.

4. How does air tank CFM potential impact tool performance?

The CFM potential of an air tank is directly related to the performance of tools or equipment powered by it. A higher CFM potential means the tank can deliver more air, resulting in better performance and increased efficiency of tools.

5. Can the air tank CFM potential be increased?

Yes, the air tank CFM potential can be increased by using a larger tank, increasing the pressure rating, or using a more powerful compressor. However, it is important to note that exceeding the recommended CFM capacity of tools can cause damage and reduce their lifespan.