Calculating Arrow Flight Time: Solving for Distance and Angle

• Thread starter Joza
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Air Time
In summary, if an arrow is shot at a 45 degree angle to the horizontal and lands 100m away at the same height it was shot, it is possible to determine the time taken. By writing separate equations for vertical and horizontal position as a function of time and utilizing the given information, the time can be solved for without needing to know the initial velocity.
Joza
If an arrow is shot at an angle 45 to the horizontal, and lands in the ground a distance(same height as it was shot) 100m away, is it possible to work out the time taken? I can't figure it out...I have been messing around with equations, but because we don't have an initial velocity I can't get it.

Any ideas?

Physics news on Phys.org
Assuming you can ignore the complications of air resistance, you should be able to figure it out. Hint: Write separate equations for vertical and horizontal position as a function of time. Then solve them together, making use of the given information. (You don't need to know the initial velocity--just call it "v".)

Cheers for the input:smile:

I don't know how I didn't realize it was that simple!

1. How do I calculate the flight time of an arrow?

To calculate the flight time of an arrow, you will need to know the distance and angle at which it is launched. These values can be measured or estimated using a rangefinder and protractor. Once you have these values, you can use the equation:
Flight Time = Distance / (Velocity * Cosine(Angle)). This will give you the flight time in seconds.

2. Can I use this equation for any type of arrow?

Yes, this equation can be used for any type of arrow as long as you have the correct values for distance, angle, and velocity. However, it is important to note that the velocity of the arrow may vary depending on factors such as the weight of the arrow, the draw weight of the bow, and environmental conditions.

3. How accurate is this calculation?

The accuracy of the calculation will depend on the accuracy of the values used for distance, angle, and velocity. It is important to measure or estimate these values as accurately as possible for the most precise calculation. Additionally, external factors such as wind and air resistance may affect the actual flight time of the arrow.

4. Is there a simpler way to calculate arrow flight time?

There are other methods for calculating arrow flight time, such as using a ballistic calculator or performing experiments. However, the equation provided is a simple and efficient way to estimate the flight time of an arrow without the need for additional tools or resources.

5. Can I use this calculation for archery competitions?

While this calculation can give you an estimated flight time, it may not be accurate enough for competitive archery. In competitions, factors such as wind, elevation, and temperature can greatly affect the flight of an arrow. It is best to practice and adjust your aim based on these external factors rather than relying solely on a calculated flight time.