How to Create a Cheap Piston with Arduino and Control Movement?

In summary, the individual is a beginner in engineering and is looking for a simple and cost-effective way to create a piston that can move in and out in a controlled manner using an arduino board. They have found that a vacuum or air piston may be the simplest solution and are seeking advice on how to release the vacuum and connect the arduino board to control the piston. Suggestions include using solenoid valves or driver transistors/relays, and the individual is also recommended to seek further help from the Arduino Forum.
Yafimski
Hi,

I am a total beginner on all subjects of engineering, but I do want to ask here if it's the right place, about this project I want to do:

I want to create a cheap (as cheap as possible, home-made kind of thing) piston that will simply move in a linear way in and out (about 40-50cm movement range).

From my online research I found this is possible probably in the simplest way by a vacuum piston or air piston.
I want to connect this piston, or the electric device that moves it, to an arduino board so that I can control the movement through that.

Problems I am facing are:

1) If I activate the piston and have it create vacuum, how can I release that vacuum in a controlled way so as to repeat the process in a cycle without manually resetting the components?

2) What is the best way to connect (both electronically and physically) the arduino board to the electric motor or part that controls the piston?

I would be very happy to know if someone has some ideas.
Again, I am pretty much a novice in all of this so I am looking for a simple solution that I can create and understand by myself with cheap parts from ebay or some hardware store etc...Thanks!

Engineering news on Phys.org
"...1) If I activate the piston and have it create vacuum, how can I release that vacuum in a controlled way so as to repeat the process in a cycle without manually resetting the components?..."
You can use solenoid valves.
"...2) What is the best way to connect (both electronically and physically) the arduino board to the electric motor or part that controls the piston?..."
You can use driver transistors or relays.
I think this is a perfect post for the Arduino Forum though.

1. What is an "Air/Vacuum Piston" and how does it work?

An air/vacuum piston is a mechanical device that uses compressed air or a vacuum to create movement. It consists of a cylinder with a piston inside that can move back and forth. When compressed air or a vacuum is applied, it creates pressure that pushes or pulls the piston, causing the piston to move and create mechanical work.

2. How does an Arduino control an Air/Vacuum Piston?

An Arduino is a microcontroller that can be programmed to control various electronic devices. In the case of an air/vacuum piston, the Arduino can be connected to a solenoid valve, which controls the flow of compressed air or vacuum to the piston. By programming the Arduino, you can control when the solenoid valve opens and closes, thus controlling the movement of the piston.

3. What are the applications of using an Air/Vacuum Piston with an Arduino?

An air/vacuum piston controlled by an Arduino can be used in various applications, such as robotics, automation, and pneumatic systems. It can be used to move objects, control valves, and perform other mechanical tasks with precision and control.

4. Can an Air/Vacuum Piston be used with other types of controllers besides an Arduino?

Yes, an air/vacuum piston can be used with other types of controllers, such as PLCs (programmable logic controllers) and microprocessors. The main requirement is that the controller has the ability to send signals to control the solenoid valve that controls the piston.

5. Are there any safety considerations when using an Air/Vacuum Piston with an Arduino?

Yes, it is important to follow proper safety precautions when using an air/vacuum piston with an Arduino. This includes ensuring that the compressed air or vacuum source is properly regulated and that all connections are secure. It is also important to program the Arduino correctly to prevent any sudden or unexpected movements of the piston.