1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Air Volume Speed to Air Speed

1. Sep 28, 2008 #1
    I was doing some research for my senior design project and came across a problem.

We are working with the PacWind Detla I wind generator and need to mimic high wind conditions. You see, we don't want to have to rely on just the natural wind for generation, we would like to create a high wind environment so that we can get the most out of our generator. Higher wind speed = more output power.

My problem is that most industrial fans are rated in CFM, which is air volume speed, not air speed.

I need to figure out how to convert from CFM to mph (or m/s) or any form of air speed.

Is there anybody in here that can help me?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 28, 2008 #2

Homework Helper

Welcome to PF.

As a gross estimate, how would you expect to get from volume/min to linear speed?

Volume/minute is Distance3/time and Speed is distance/time?
  4. Sep 28, 2008 #3
    LowlyPion, that is exactly my point. Mathematically it seems impossible, however, I know there is some kind of way to relate the two quantities.

Also, I know that air speed will depend on the diameter of the fan/tube. For example, air will flow faster through a tube w/ a smaller diameter than with a larger one.. And I'm assuming that if it is just a simple fan, the speed will be even lower.

I was just seeing if anyone knew how to get a fairy accurate estimate based on CFM alone.
  5. Sep 29, 2008 #4

Homework Helper

You weren't paying close attention to what I was saying. Volume/min is roughly speaking in air flow terms equal to the cross section of the wind channel times the air speed. Now of course the reason I say "roughly" is because it's a pretty lossy system because of air leaking and non-uniformity between circular fans and rectangular channels, and the air pressure differentials that a fan can support and such. But it's not a bad place to start.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?