How can I convert from CFM to air speed for wind generation?

In summary, the conversation revolves around the issue of converting air volume speed (CFM) to air speed (mph or m/s) and the difficulties in obtaining a precise estimate. The main concern is that most industrial fans are rated in CFM and there is a need to mimic high wind conditions for a project. There is a discussion about the relationship between volume/min and linear speed, as well as the impact of fan/tube diameter on air speed. The conversation ends with a request for help in finding a way to accurately estimate air speed based on CFM alone.
RyanVellia
I was doing some research for my senior design project and came across a problem.

We are working with the PacWind Detla I wind generator and need to mimic high wind conditions. You see, we don't want to have to rely on just the natural wind for generation, we would like to create a high wind environment so that we can get the most out of our generator. Higher wind speed = more output power.

My problem is that most industrial fans are rated in CFM, which is air volume speed, not air speed.

I need to figure out how to convert from CFM to mph (or m/s) or any form of air speed.

Is there anybody in here that can help me?

-Ryan

Physics news on Phys.org
RyanVellia said:
I was doing some research for my senior design project and came across a problem.

We are working with the PacWind Detla I wind generator and need to mimic high wind conditions. You see, we don't want to have to rely on just the natural wind for generation, we would like to create a high wind environment so that we can get the most out of our generator. Higher wind speed = more output power.

My problem is that most industrial fans are rated in CFM, which is air volume speed, not air speed.

I need to figure out how to convert from CFM to mph (or m/s) or any form of air speed.

Is there anybody in here that can help me?

-Ryan

Welcome to PF.

As a gross estimate, how would you expect to get from volume/min to linear speed?

Volume/minute is Distance3/time and Speed is distance/time?

LowlyPion, that is exactly my point. Mathematically it seems impossible, however, I know there is some kind of way to relate the two quantities.

Also, I know that air speed will depend on the diameter of the fan/tube. For example, air will flow faster through a tube w/ a smaller diameter than with a larger one.. And I'm assuming that if it is just a simple fan, the speed will be even lower.

I was just seeing if anyone knew how to get a fairy accurate estimate based on CFM alone.

RyanVellia said:
LowlyPion, that is exactly my point. Mathematically it seems impossible, however, I know there is some kind of way to relate the two quantities.

Also, I know that air speed will depend on the diameter of the fan/tube. For example, air will flow faster through a tube w/ a smaller diameter than with a larger one.. And I'm assuming that if it is just a simple fan, the speed will be even lower.

I was just seeing if anyone knew how to get a fairy accurate estimate based on CFM alone.

You weren't paying close attention to what I was saying. Volume/min is roughly speaking in air flow terms equal to the cross section of the wind channel times the air speed. Now of course the reason I say "roughly" is because it's a pretty lossy system because of air leaking and non-uniformity between circular fans and rectangular channels, and the air pressure differentials that a fan can support and such. But it's not a bad place to start.

1. What is the difference between air volume speed and air speed?

Air volume speed refers to the amount of air that is moving through a given space, while air speed refers to the velocity or rate at which the air is moving. In other words, air volume speed is a measure of quantity, while air speed is a measure of speed.

2. How is air volume speed related to air speed?

Air volume speed and air speed are closely related, as they both involve the movement of air. Air volume speed directly impacts air speed, as a larger volume of air moving through a space will result in a higher air speed. However, air speed can also be affected by other factors such as the shape of the space or any obstacles in the airflow.

3. What units are used to measure air volume speed and air speed?

Air volume speed is typically measured in cubic feet per minute (CFM), while air speed is measured in feet per minute (FPM) or miles per hour (MPH). However, different units may be used depending on the context and the specific device or instrument being used to measure the air flow.

4. Why is it important to measure air volume speed and air speed?

Measuring air volume speed and air speed is important in many industries and applications, such as HVAC systems, industrial ventilation, and air quality testing. It allows us to understand and control the movement of air, which can impact factors such as temperature, humidity, and air quality. It also helps to ensure the safety and comfort of individuals in various environments.

5. How can air volume speed and air speed be measured?

Air volume speed and air speed can be measured using various tools and instruments, such as anemometers, airflow meters, and pitot tubes. These devices measure the pressure, velocity, and/or volume of air flowing through a given space. The appropriate measurement method and device will depend on the specific application and the level of accuracy required.