1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Air-Water Box: Mass Spring Damper System Modeling

1. Aug 4, 2011 #1
    Hi All,

I am building a sort of shock absorber for a hydraulic model of the human brain.

To make a long story short,
    my circuit is connected to a box where water interface to pressurized air. The volume of air is calibrated to a specific compliance value, being compliance

C=dV/dP

with V=volume of air, and P=pressure of air.

Such a system can be modeled as a Mass-Spring-Damper (MSD) System, where
    Mass would be the mass of moving water, with its own inertia;
    Spring would be the volume of air, reacting with opposite forces to compression or expansion when water flows in or out;
    Damper would be given by the viscous dissipation effects.

Does anybody know how to deal with such a system?
    I mean, I am very much aware of classical solution for a MSD, but don't know how to match parameters in the Hydraulic case. I.e. in my case, elastic constant Ke will be related to Compliance C, damping coefficient c will be related to viscosity nu, etc... but how exactly?

Could you reference a book or paper which explains solution for such a system?

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted