Building a Rocket: Airbag Landing Basics

In summary, the speaker is building a rocket and their team plans to use airbags to protect the tanks during landing. They are new to this and are seeking advice on where to start. There are considerations to be made for the fuel supply, rocket motors, and structural frame when using airbags. Other options for protecting the rocket during landing include parachutes, R/C steerable parawings, and cushion-mounting the tanks.
Aki
Hi, I'm building a rocket, and my team is planning to use airbags to protect the tanks from crushing during landing. I'm a newbie at this, and I want to know where I should start:)
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Please describe your rocket concept. Presumably the rocket is landing so as to take off again, which would imply there is a fuel supply or one will have to produce a fuel supply near the landing point.

The air bags would in theory deploy themself to distribute any forces on the tanks to the structural frame of the rocket. Then that also means the rocket motors, which would have to be attached to fuel/oxidizer transfer lines, would also have to mounted with a shock absorbing system with similar displacement as the tanks, or the fuel/oxidizer transfer lines have to be flexible to accommodate the differences in displacement between rocket motors and tanks.

One has to look at the structural frame and tank geometry to determine the optimal placement of the air bags.

Also are the airbags external or internal. Airbags were used for the Spirit and Opportunity landings on Mars. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mars_Exploration_Rover_Mission#Airbags
The actual airbags were tested at Glenn Research Center, NASA.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Airbag

I know that airbags isn't the best option, because you never know where the rocket will land and they can only deflate once. Are there any options for protecting the rocket during landing other than airbags?

You might be better off sticking with a good parachute, or maybe even an R/C steerable parawing. Maybe cushion-mounting the tanks would be of benefit as well (ie: pack styrene peanuts or foam rubber around them and use flexible lines).

What is the purpose of airbag landing in rocket building?

The purpose of airbag landing in rocket building is to help cushion the impact of landing and reduce the risk of damage to the rocket and its payload. This is especially important for missions that involve landing on other planets where the atmosphere is different than Earth's and can't provide enough resistance for a safe landing.

How do airbags work in rocket landings?

Airbags in rocket landings work by deploying at the last moment before impact, creating a cushion of air between the ground and the rocket. The airbag is designed to absorb the impact and gradually deflate, allowing the rocket to come to a safe stop.

What are the key components of airbag landing systems?

The key components of airbag landing systems include the airbag itself, which is made of strong and durable material, as well as sensors and control systems that trigger the deployment of the airbag at the right time. In addition, there may be support structures to help stabilize the rocket during landing and prevent it from tipping over.

What are the challenges of using airbags in rocket landings?

One of the main challenges of using airbags in rocket landings is ensuring that they are deployed at the right time and in the right way. If the airbag deploys too early or too late, it can cause damage to the rocket. Additionally, the airbag must be designed to withstand the harsh conditions of space travel and the impact of landing.

Are airbags the only method for safe rocket landings?

No, airbags are not the only method for safe rocket landings. Other methods include landing rockets on a platform or using retropropulsion to slow down the descent. Each method has its own advantages and disadvantages, and the choice depends on the specific mission and conditions.