Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Airconditioner on solar energy

1. Jan 14, 2006 #1
    hey frenz ,
    Plz let me know about an Airconditioner working on solar energy.How does it work.Wheather any reaserch is going on this project?
    Is any breakthrough has happened?Any help is welcome.
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 14, 2006 #2

Gold Member

What do you mean an air-conditioner that runs on solar energy? Most electrical air conditioners are connected to some sort of power supply and yes, that power supply can be a solar generator but as far as i know, theres no such thing as a stand-alone air conditioner that runs on solar power. They require a LOT of power that solar energy cannot supply on a self-contained unit. You can have one that is powered by a solar grid that's attached to the air conditioner... but I just don't see anyone even wanting to make it into a self-contained unit.
  4. Jan 15, 2006 #3
    Well if someone asked me to design one I would consider a sterling engine (solar powered though focusing by mirrors or whatever) running a pump that moves fluid around a closed loop. This loop would be buried in the ground where the temperature is a constant 50 some degrees F year round. Run this fluid through a heat exchanger and you have an air conditioner. A solar powered heat pump for heating in the winter seems kind of silly though so I doubt I would expand on this idea.
  5. Jan 19, 2006 #4
    Solar powered fan, blowing across a block of ice! Air- conditioning!:biggrin:
  6. Jan 19, 2006 #5
    I'm thinking "solar-powered umbrella"...
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?