1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Aircraft Flight Dynamics

1. Jul 10, 2009 #1
    Hello people. Ive been making a sim of a P-51 Mustang in Blender3d and am working on the physics. Ive got the Drag, Lift and Thrust with help from here. I need help now with:
    1. Flight Dynamics (Roll, Yaw and Pitch physics)
      I need to know the amount of force regarding torque on the aircraft.
    2. A Calulation for RPM, right now I've just got it set on the 'throttle' value, meaning that it changes every time the throttle goes down. I know that RPM depends on a lot of factors, and if a calculation is available it would be great.
    3. Undercarriage Drag
      Simple. Just surface area * mass flow? and maybe rolling friction.
    4. Flap Drag and Lift
      I know that flaps alter wing area, making this pretty simple.

Not too much detail is needed (I'm a tenth grader so take it easy- not dumb either so if you explain it to me I will eventually get it :)). This is all I need to finish my physics model so plz find some time to help me out (There's some really qualified people out there who might want to inspire a 14-year old!:))

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 10, 2009 #2

rcgldr

Homework Helper

I thought this was covered here:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=302688

From post #9 in the previous thread regarding the P51: the propeller is a constant speed (variable pitch) propeller, 11 feet 2 inches in diameter with 4 blades.. The RPM will not vary much once above some minimum throttle setting, such as 1/2 throttle.

4. Jul 11, 2009 #3
    AS I can see from WWII flight tables, the RPM has a few settings, making my job easier. As you said, torque is created by aerodynamic drag and lift, plus small inertia. Are there any calculations for this? The Aileron weight can be estimated and the area is simple. As for undercarriage drag, I guess the drag is just surface area x Mass flow, plus rolling drag. Flaps just change the wing area, so some trig would work. So basically all I need is a simple equation with no complications. And blender 3d HAS a physics engine, so the rest is taken care of.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook