Aircraft production project.

• Thread starter perfectz
  • Start date
My dear physics peeps, brothers, sisters, friends..........
PLEASE SAVE MY SOUL....................
My professor asked me to do a mini research on aircraft production techniques, and submit a 200 page report....
Through out the last week, I banged my head hard over the internet, and found not a single page on aircraft production and manufacturing techniques.
Please help me out.......
Please gimme some websites.........
If anyone has already been through a hell like this please help me out....
pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee..................
:cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

Answers and Replies

russ_watters
Mentor
200 page report? Good luck...

I'd probably start with Henry Ford and what he did for aircraft production during WWII...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henry_Ford
Ford examined the B-24 Liberator bomber, still the most produced Allied bomber in history, which quickly shifted the balance of power. Before Ford, and under optimal conditions, the aviation industry could produce one Consolidated Aircraft B-24 Bomber a day at an aircraft plant. Ford showed the world how to produce one B-24 an hour at a peak of 600 per month in 24 hour shifts. Ford's Willow Run factory broke ground in the April 1941. At the time, it was the largest assembly plant in the world, with over 3,500,000 square feet (330,000 m²).

Last edited:
dude please gimme some more web sites.
please mann I am so desperate I dont know what to do
please gimme some good web sources I ll take care th erest
please mannnn

ranger
Gold Member
perfectz, your school should have access to online academic journals. You should make use of them.

Good luck!

FredGarvin
Science Advisor
Aircraft production techniques? Can you be any more vague? What are the most basic machining, joining and forming operations that you can think of? ALL of them go into an aircraft's individual components. Let's name a few of them...:

Milling (traditional and 5 axis), turning, EDM, welding, brazing, bending, water jet, laser cut, deep drawing, riveting, adhesives, molding, heat treating, casting, surface treatments...

I would suggest you start breaking an aircraft down into it's different areas and research each one independently. You'll find more information that way.

Last edited:
FredGarvin
Science Advisor
That Wiki article has a great picture of the Willow Run plant back in the day. That's not too far away from me. What a great picture.