Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Airflow for cooling

1. Apr 30, 2015 #1
    The inlet temperature of a baghouse under negative pressure is 400 F and the outlet temperature is 210 F. The volume of air is 10,500 acfm. (baghouse is in poor condition). How do I determine the actual volume given this information?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 30, 2015 #2
    Any significant water present? Is the cooling due only to air infiltration? Is the 10,500 acfm measured at the inlet?

4. Apr 30, 2015 #3
    It is a dry day, no rain, or mositure in the inlet ductwork. The 10,500 acfm is measured at the fan discharge, which is downstream from the baghouse.

5. Apr 30, 2015 #4
    I considered a simple mixing process of 400F process air and 70F inleakage air. Process air density = 0.0462 lb/ft3. Inleakage air density = 0.075 lb/ft3. Outlet air density = 0.0593 lb/ft3. All air streams heat capacity = 0.25 Btu/lb-F. A material and energy balance gives two equations and two unknowns. I got 5,720 acfm for the process air and 4,780 acfm for the inleakage air. NOTE: Fan power was not included. If known it can be added to the energy balance.

6. Apr 30, 2015 #5

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

I'm having trouble understanding the question. Actual volume of what? The bag house? The airflow through the bag house? A diagram would help too.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook