ANNER AND SIGN AIRFLOW CONCERNS

• Thread starter bognemark
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Airflow
In summary, the banner is a south-facing 3'x8' vinyl banner hung on a fixed sign connected to an L-shaped building. It is approximately 12-15 inches away from the inner vertical wall of the L-shape and anchored by 2 stakes. The sign is a big metal sign with lights housed inside and the banner is tied onto the sign with cotton cord and anchored to the stakes with fishing line. The banner is taut and weighs between 1-2 lbs when rolled up. Wind conditions are currently mild due to a nearby perpendicular wall, but there is concern about potential damage to the sign if the banner acts as a sail.
bognemark
Outside, I have a south-facing 3'x8' banner that is hung on a fixed sign connected to an L-shaped building. The wall that the banner is on is the inner vertical wall of the L-shape. It is approximately 12-15 inches away from the wall.

The sign is a big metal sign (approx 4'x20') with lights housed inside. I have cords that tie around the ends of the sign for the banner to hang down. The banner is anchored by 2 stakes I have placed in the ground.

I am concerned whether air flow created by the wind could create enough pressure/force between my banner and the wall such that the banner could act as a sail and place stress that could damage the sign.

Any advice would be gretaly appreciated.

B

Physics news on Phys.org
What's the banner made of? What is it tied onto the sign/stakes with? How taut is it? What wind conditions can you expect around the building?

The banner is made of vinyl. The top two corners of the banner are tied on to opposite ends of the sign by cotton cord (approx. 5mm diam), and it is not doubled over. The bottom corners of the banner are anchored down by stakes that have been driven into the soil and are tied together with 30-40 lb fishing line. The banner is taught enough so that it looks flat and even in appearance. weight of the banner rolled up is btwn 1-2 lbs. Wind conditions at this time are quite mild. I cannot imagine that it could get too strong as there is a wall that lies perpendicular just 5-10 m to the west of the banner.

1. What is airflow and why is it important?

Airflow refers to the movement of air in a particular space. It is important for several reasons, such as maintaining air quality, regulating temperature and humidity, and ensuring proper ventilation for human health and comfort.

2. How does airflow affect indoor air quality?

Poor airflow can lead to the buildup of pollutants, allergens, and other harmful particles in indoor air. This can have negative impacts on health, causing respiratory issues, allergies, and other health problems.

3. How can I improve airflow in my home or office?

There are several ways to improve airflow, such as opening windows and doors to allow for natural ventilation, using fans or air purifiers, and regularly cleaning and maintaining HVAC systems.

4. What is the difference between positive and negative airflow?

Positive airflow refers to when air is being pushed into a space, while negative airflow is when air is being pulled out of a space. Positive airflow is commonly used to maintain air quality and ventilation in cleanrooms and hospitals, while negative airflow is used to isolate and contain contaminants in areas such as isolation rooms or labs.

5. How can I measure and monitor airflow?

Airflow can be measured and monitored using various tools, such as an anemometer, which measures air velocity, or a manometer, which measures air pressure differentials. These tools can help determine if there are any issues with airflow and assist in making necessary adjustments for improved air circulation.