Selecting Airfoil for Miniature Aircraft at 20m/s

• Thread starter ank_gl
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Airfoil
In summary, a person is seeking advice on which airfoil to use for their miniature aircraft that must fly at 20m/s at an altitude of 15-20m. The wing span must be 2m and the chord between 0.3-0.5m, with a maximum weight of 25kgs. The person is considering S1223 and NACA8212 which both provide over 200 N lift, but also interested in other options. They mention that Eppler may be a good choice for a restricted span.
ank_gl
hi i m making a miniature aircraft...:frown: :frown: :frown:
but i m struck with the problem of many...
i have to fly my aircraft at about 20m/s(72km/hr=45 miles/hr) at about an altitude of 15-20m...
wing span is 2m(it cannot be more than this acc to the rule of competition(fuselage also not to exceed 2m)), chord is 0.3-0.5m...
total weight is not to exceed 25kgs...
i have chosen S1223 & NACA8212, both give me over 200 N lift...

please suggest me which airfoil should i choose or any other airfoil which can be more advantageous...:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

Engineering news on Phys.org
Eppler is not bad when there is a span restriction

Choosing the right airfoil for your miniature aircraft is crucial for its successful flight. The two airfoils you have mentioned, S1223 and NACA8212, are both popular choices for model aircrafts and have been proven to provide high lift. However, there are a few factors that you need to consider before finalizing your decision.

One important factor is the speed at which your aircraft will be flying. While both S1223 and NACA8212 have good lift capabilities, they have different optimal speeds. S1223 is better suited for higher speeds, while NACA8212 is more suitable for lower speeds. Since you mentioned that your aircraft will be flying at 20m/s, it may be more advantageous to go with NACA8212.

Another factor to consider is the wing span and chord length of your aircraft. As you have mentioned, your wing span is limited to 2m and the chord is between 0.3-0.5m. This means that you need an airfoil that can provide enough lift within this limited wing area. Both S1223 and NACA8212 have a good lift-to-drag ratio, but NACA8212 has a slightly higher lift coefficient which may be more beneficial for your specific wing dimensions.

Lastly, you need to consider the weight of your aircraft. NACA8212 has a slightly higher lift coefficient compared to S1223, which means it can provide more lift for the same amount of weight. This could be beneficial in ensuring that your aircraft stays within the weight limit of 25kgs.

In conclusion, based on the information provided, it seems like NACA8212 would be a more advantageous choice for your miniature aircraft flying at 20m/s with a limited wing span and chord length. However, it is always recommended to do further research and testing to determine the best airfoil for your specific aircraft design. Good luck with your project!

1. How do I determine the optimal airfoil for my miniature aircraft at 20m/s?

The optimal airfoil for your miniature aircraft at 20m/s can be determined by analyzing the lift and drag characteristics of different airfoils. This can be done through wind tunnel testing or using computational fluid dynamics (CFD) software. It is important to consider the specific design parameters and flight conditions of your aircraft when selecting an airfoil.

2. What factors should I consider when selecting an airfoil for my miniature aircraft?

Some factors to consider when selecting an airfoil for your miniature aircraft at 20m/s include the desired lift and drag characteristics, the weight and size constraints of your aircraft, and the intended flight conditions. It is also important to consider the manufacturing and cost implications of your chosen airfoil.

3. How does airfoil thickness affect the performance of a miniature aircraft at 20m/s?

The thickness of an airfoil can greatly impact the performance of a miniature aircraft at 20m/s. A thicker airfoil can provide more lift at slower speeds, but may also create more drag. Thinner airfoils are better suited for higher speeds, but may not generate enough lift for a miniature aircraft. It is important to strike a balance between lift and drag when selecting an airfoil thickness.

4. Can I use the same airfoil for different sizes of miniature aircraft at 20m/s?

While it is possible to use the same airfoil for different sizes of miniature aircraft at 20m/s, it may not always be the most optimal choice. The size and weight of your aircraft can greatly affect its flight dynamics, so it is important to consider these factors when selecting an airfoil. It may be necessary to adjust the airfoil or select a different one for different sizes of aircraft.

5. Are there any recommended airfoils for miniature aircraft at 20m/s?

There are many different airfoils that can be suitable for miniature aircraft at 20m/s, and the best one for your specific aircraft will depend on its design and intended use. Some commonly recommended airfoils for miniature aircraft include the NACA 4412, Clark Y, and Selig S1223. It is important to do thorough research and testing to determine the best airfoil for your specific aircraft.