Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Airframe impact question

1. Dec 19, 2005 #1

Danger

Gold Member

Hi guys;
    Got a question that has me scratching my head. The new server at my favourite hangout is a commercial pilot taking a wee bit of a rest break. The other day she told me that for some reason, the right side of a Piper Navaho always receives the vast majority of the damage in a crash regardless of the angle or speed of impact. She highly recommended sitting portside if I'm ever in one. That's the first that I've ever heard of it, and neither one of us can think of a good explanation for it. Any of you aero experts have the answer? (She didn't specify any particular model year.)

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 20, 2005 #2

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

I'm not an airrframer. But I do know a couple of guys who probably know the answer (if there indeed is one). I'll get back to you after I do some homework. Personally, I'm thinking old wive's tale, but I will see if I can't dig anything up.

4. Dec 20, 2005 #3

Danger

Gold Member

Thanks, Fred. I gave her the PF address, so she might even be following this herself.

5. Dec 20, 2005 #4

Cliff_J

Science Advisor

Wild guess: Engine rotation?

6. Dec 20, 2005 #5

Danger

Gold Member

That was my first thought, Cliff, but they're counter-rotating. Wouldn't that cancel the effect?

7. Dec 20, 2005 #6

DM

For the right side of the piper to be more susceptible to crashes, the airframe must have some sort of connection with the blue print of the aircraft.

A little research...

"Piper had to redesign the flight control systems to handle the increased loads on the airframe due to the higher speeds."

Reference

It seems the problem persists.

8. Dec 20, 2005 #7

DaveC426913

Gold Member

Um, pilot preference?

9. Dec 20, 2005 #8

Danger

Gold Member

While I muchly appreciate the link, DM, and found it informative, I don't actually see anything there that addresses this specific issue. The flight control system shouldn't have anything to do with crush/crumple/ouch characteristics.

:rofl:

10. Dec 20, 2005 #9

turbo

Gold Member

Typically, these small commuter planes have doors/hatches on the left side. Perhaps these provide some additional stiffening to the airframe on the left.....?

11. Dec 20, 2005 #10

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

Two of my 3 sources had no idea about this myth (I'm calling it a myth until proven). I have a third, but he has been sent out of town for a few days and won't be able to reply.

Really, it could be anything...

12. Dec 21, 2005 #11

Danger

Gold Member

Thanks, all, for the responses. I'll continue to check in and see what else turns up.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?