Why does the right side of a Piper Navaho receive more damage in a crash?

• Thread starter Danger
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Impact
In summary, the new commercial pilot at the hangout said that for some reason, the right side of a Piper Navaho always receives the vast majority of the damage in a crash regardless of the angle or speed of impact. The other day, she told this to someone else and they found it curious, so she recommended sitting portside if you're ever in one of these planes. There is no clear answer as to why this is, but it could be something as simple as the design of the plane.
Danger
Gold Member
Hi guys;
Got a question that has me scratching my head. The new server at my favourite hangout is a commercial pilot taking a wee bit of a rest break. The other day she told me that for some reason, the right side of a Piper Navaho always receives the vast majority of the damage in a crash regardless of the angle or speed of impact. She highly recommended sitting portside if I'm ever in one. That's the first that I've ever heard of it, and neither one of us can think of a good explanation for it. Any of you aero experts have the answer? (She didn't specify any particular model year.)

Engineering news on Phys.org
I'm not an airrframer. But I do know a couple of guys who probably know the answer (if there indeed is one). I'll get back to you after I do some homework. Personally, I'm thinking old wive's tale, but I will see if I can't dig anything up.

Thanks, Fred. I gave her the PF address, so she might even be following this herself.

Wild guess: Engine rotation?

That was my first thought, Cliff, but they're counter-rotating. Wouldn't that cancel the effect?

For the right side of the piper to be more susceptible to crashes, the airframe must have some sort of connection with the blue print of the aircraft.

A little research...

"Piper had to redesign the flight control systems to handle the increased loads on the airframe due to the higher speeds."

Reference

It seems the problem persists.

Um, pilot preference?

While I muchly appreciate the link, DM, and found it informative, I don't actually see anything there that addresses this specific issue. The flight control system shouldn't have anything to do with crush/crumple/ouch characteristics.

DaveC426913 said:
Um, pilot preference?
:rofl:

Typically, these small commuter planes have doors/hatches on the left side. Perhaps these provide some additional stiffening to the airframe on the left...?

Two of my 3 sources had no idea about this myth (I'm calling it a myth until proven). I have a third, but he has been sent out of town for a few days and won't be able to reply.

Really, it could be anything...

Thanks, all, for the responses. I'll continue to check in and see what else turns up.

1. What is an airframe impact question?

An airframe impact question refers to any inquiry related to the effects of a collision or crash on an aircraft's structure or frame. This can include questions about the strength and durability of the airframe, as well as the potential damage that can occur in the event of an impact.

2. How do scientists study airframe impact?

Scientists study airframe impact through various methods, such as computer simulations, physical crash tests, and analyzing data from past accidents. They also use advanced imaging techniques to examine the structural integrity of the airframe after an impact.

3. What are some factors that can affect the impact on an airframe?

There are several factors that can affect the impact on an airframe, including the speed and angle of the impact, the type and size of the object it collides with, and the structural design and materials of the airframe itself. Weather conditions and pilot error can also play a role.

4. How do airframe impacts affect passenger safety?

The impact on an airframe can greatly impact passenger safety. In the event of a crash or collision, the structural integrity of the airframe is crucial in protecting passengers from impact forces. If the airframe is compromised, it can lead to serious injuries or fatalities for passengers on board.

5. What advancements have been made in airframe impact research?

Over the years, there have been numerous advancements in airframe impact research, including the development of stronger and lighter materials, improved crash test techniques, and advanced computer simulations. These advancements have helped to improve the safety and durability of aircrafts, reducing the likelihood and severity of airframe impacts.