Airline industry and the future of oil

In summary: Jet aircraft run on various grades of jet fuel, which is essentially kerosene. In summary, the future of air travel may involve using hydrogen as a fuel source, which would require modifications to jet engines. However, storing and using hydrogen as a fuel poses technical, economic, and safety challenges. Other options, such as using kerosene or developing alternative methods of producing fuel, are also being explored.
Pengwuino
Gold Member
One thing that I've absolutely never seen brought up is how aircraft will be effected by depleating oil supplies. We figured out that we can go to hydrogen powered cars when we figure out all the kinks in the system and setup a mass distribution system... but what about aircraft? I just can't imagine a hydrogen powered 747 or any nuclear engines anytime down the road...

So what are the plans for the future of air travel? Or does air travel use so little oil that we can use natural processes that already happen to create enough fuel for them

Physics news on Phys.org
Jet aircraft run on various grades of jet fuel, which is essentially kerosene. I've seen one mentioned recently (in this site, I believe) that was run on deisel fuel with little or no modification. It shouldn't be too hard to adapt one to burn hydrogen. As for storage, the most efficient method that I'm aware of is magnesium hydride blocks. Pure magnesium absorbs hydrogen when chilled and releases it when heated. The storage density is 1gm/cc, which is higher than liquid hydrogen. This is a thread in which FredGarvin should probably make the deciding posts.

Can you burn hydrogen in a jet engine with some mods??

Pengwuino said:

The jet engine would have to be innovated.

Pengwuino said:
Sure. The gas turbines in generator plants are just jet engines burning natural gas. The turbopumps in most liquid-fuel rocket engines, or the turbochargers in cars or planes, are extremely simplified jet engines. Pretty much anything that can be injected, ignited, and will hold a reasonable combustion front at the flame-holder area is appropriate. Since hydrogen has the highest efficiency of any fuel, it stands to reason that burning it will be cheaper than using something like Jet-A. Modifying an engine to use it should be no harder than converting a car from gasoline to propane.

Adding to what Danger mentioned, gas turbines in power plants already burn natural gas (methane) so burning hydrogen would not be a problem.

However, hydrogen burns very hot - so the combustors would have to be designed to accommodate high temperatures.

Also, a major issue will be storage, especially if hydrogen is liquified. Cold LH2 would cause moisture to condense (a problem with the space shuttle), cold temperatures pose a problem for metal fatigue, and hydrogen gas is highly flammable. Possibly LNG or ammonia could be used as a fuel, but there are technical, economic and safety issues to be considered.

Astronuc said:
Possibly LNG or ammonia could be used as a fuel, but there are technical, economic and safety issues to be considered.
How about using kerosene as fuel?

One thing that I've absolutely never seen brought up is how aircraft will be effected by depleating oil supplies.

Perhaps have another look.

Pengwuino said:
One thing that I've absolutely never seen brought up is how aircraft will be effected by depleating oil supplies.
You don't hear about drastically fluctuating airline pricing? The idea of depleting is misleading. The first day man drilled for oil, technically the oil supply was depleting.

Pengwuino said:
I just can't imagine a hydrogen powered 747 or any nuclear engines anytime down the road...
Take a look at Project Pluto from back in the late 50's-early 60's.

Andre said:
Perhaps have another look.

Ok what i meant to say was CNN has never said anything :P

FredGarvin said:
You don't hear about drastically fluctuating airline pricing? The idea of depleting is misleading. The first day man drilled for oil, technically the oil supply was depleting.

Nope, never have...although i have been rather low on my daily tv allowance as of late. And when i said depleting, i meant as far as it coming to a point where we don't have any left So scratch depleting, insert... uhm...dang it i just woke up after 3 hours of sleep :yuck: ... whatever word means not have much of, insert that :rofl: :rofl:

Im still talkinga bout the costs as oil becomes uhh, dissappeared :D

hitssquad said:
How about using kerosene as fuel?
Jet fuel is pretty much kerosene, which is derived from oil. Pengwuino's question concerned what happens when oil runs out.

One could in theory use Fischer-Tropsch synthesis to make heavier alkanes from a feedstock of hydrogen and CO2.

The initial plan for the SR-71 was to have it burning hydrogen. Liquid hydrogen is a double-edged sword: it has a high energy density (energy per pound) but a low density (mass per pound) so while planes powered by hydrogen would be lighter (and thus require much less energy to fly) than traditional planes, they'd also need to be much larger: the first design for the SR-71 had it 300 feet long.

1. What impact does the airline industry have on the future of oil?

The airline industry is a major consumer of oil, accounting for approximately 8% of global oil consumption. As a result, any changes or developments in the industry can greatly affect the demand for oil. With the rising concerns about climate change and the push for more sustainable practices, the future of the airline industry and the future of oil are closely linked.

2. How does the price of oil affect the airline industry?

The price of oil is a significant factor in the profitability of airlines. When the price of oil increases, airlines must pay more for fuel, which can lead to higher ticket prices for consumers. This can also impact the overall demand for air travel, as higher prices may deter some travelers. On the other hand, when oil prices decrease, airlines may be able to offer lower ticket prices and attract more customers.

3. What are some alternative fuels being explored in the airline industry?

In recent years, there has been a growing interest in alternative fuels in the airline industry. Some options being explored include biofuels made from renewable sources, such as algae or waste oil, and electric or hybrid-powered aircraft. These alternatives have the potential to reduce the industry's reliance on traditional fossil fuels and decrease its carbon footprint.

4. How is the airline industry adapting to the future of oil?

The airline industry is taking steps to adapt to the future of oil by investing in more fuel-efficient aircraft, exploring alternative fuels, and implementing sustainable practices. Some airlines have also started offering carbon offset programs for customers to offset the carbon emissions from their flights. Additionally, there is a growing focus on developing new technologies and strategies to reduce the industry's overall dependence on oil.

5. What role does government policy play in the future of oil and the airline industry?

Government policies and regulations can have a significant impact on the future of oil and the airline industry. Policies that incentivize the use of alternative fuels or impose emissions targets can drive the industry towards more sustainable practices. Additionally, changes in taxation or subsidies for oil can also influence the cost of fuel for airlines. It is important for governments to work closely with the industry to create policies that balance economic and environmental considerations.