Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Airlines ousource maintenance

1. Aug 17, 2005 #1
    Just when I thought the outsourcing of jobs to other countries had hit a peak, I find this little gem.

quote: JetBlue, Southwest, America West, Northwest and United are among the carriers who outsource major maintenance of their aircraft to contractors in other countries, according to a report in The Wall Street Journal.quote:

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news04/2005/airline_maintenance.html

Do El Salvador mechanics have an FAA approved A&P (airframe and Power plant) certification from the FAA? I really doubt that. Has anyone heard about this?

Last edited: Aug 17, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 17, 2005 #2

loseyourname

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

Given that I can fly to New York for about the same amount of money it costs me to drive down to LA, I'm not complaining.

4. Aug 17, 2005 #3
    I find it irritating enough when I call up the airline to ask if they have a military discount for my fiance (because they never list them on the website) and don't speak to someone who is articulate with English. I understand they need jobs too but this is getting a bit annoying.

~Kitty

5. Aug 17, 2005 #4
    Airfare is still expensive though. It took us 2 1/2 hours to find an airfare that would fit in our alotted budget. I don't see how outsourcing the maintanence jobs is going to help the consumers the way economists are saying it does if they don't lower the price of their tickets.

~Kitty

6. Aug 17, 2005 #5
    They have been outsourcing ticketing and booking for some time now, but engine maintenance being done in south America is the pits from my point of view.

7. Aug 17, 2005 #6
    You are not complaining because you only think you are not paying. The FAA has to send hundreds of inspectors to those countries and the taxpayers pick up the tab.

8. Aug 17, 2005 #7

loseyourname

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

I haven't paid any taxes in three years.

9. Aug 17, 2005 #8

loseyourname

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

Not on Jet Blue and Southwest, it isn't.

10. Aug 17, 2005 #9
    It was for southwest when we were looking. I haven't heard of Jet Blue so I don't know. The fare from Southwest was over $400 and that was in coach!

~Kitty

11. Aug 17, 2005 #10

loseyourname

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

I suppose it depends on where you're going. I managed to fly home for $29 once on Southwest. Edit: That's Oakland to LAX, by the way. In contrast, it takes about $90 worth of gas to drive home.

12. Aug 17, 2005 #11
    That was after I priced it out on their website. When he tried to price it out he put in the same info I did and got an even higher price. It seems like they can't be consistant.

~Kitty

13. Aug 17, 2005 #12
    I find it does depend on when and where you are flying from, but over $400 for a coach seat on an early flight seems ludrious in my mind.

What is the point of outsourcing jobs that we have here in the states anyway? There are plenty of aeronautical mechanics in the US who need jobs.

~Kitty

14. Aug 17, 2005 #13
    There's plenty of out of work telemarketers too. The reason for the outsourcing is that they can pay people to do it for cheaper overseas, lay off american workers, and give their executives nice fat bonuses.

15. Aug 17, 2005 #14

loseyourname

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

Well, the most I ever paid to fly on either of those airlines was $129 to go from LAX to JFK on Jet Blue. As long as you book in advance, both always seem to have great fares, at least from my experience. Where were you going when you had this problem?

I've gotta say, I swear by Southwest. I was flying from LAX to BWI a couple years back and had a really bad ear infection so that my hearing was impaired. They were incredibly helpful, allowing me to preboard and bumping me to first class.

16. Aug 17, 2005 #15

loseyourname

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

Telemarketers work on commission. What's the benefit in outsourcing a telemarketer?

17. Aug 17, 2005 #16
    Because telemarketers from India work for a significantly smaller commissions.

Why do you think the telemarkter or tech support you hear all the time now is speaking with a thick Indian accent?

18. Aug 17, 2005 #17

SOS2008

Gold Member

I believe this to be short-term thinking. I won't shop at Wal-Mart to save a few cents because I believe in the long run they will destroy competition in America. In general I believe people who look out for themselves and never give back to their communities/country will pay a price one way or another.

19. Aug 17, 2005 #18
    My fiance was flying from Boston to Nashville. We were looking to book the flight 3 weeks in adavance.

~Kitty

20. Aug 17, 2005 #19
    There are all kinds of jobs being outsourced including high tech.

By TODD BISHOP
    SEATTLE POST-INTELLIGENCER REPORTER

A Seattle-based labor union says newly surfaced documents show that Microsoft Corp. has looked to outsource to Indian companies high-level jobs in software architecture and development.

The union, WashTech, says the previously confidential agreements between Microsoft and Indian outsourcing companies Infosys Technologies and Satyam Computer Services debunk the popular notion that only lower-level technology positions are vulnerable to outsourcing.

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/business/178021_msftindia09.html

The loss of jobs is bad in itself. But when we outsource high tech, we dumb down America.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2005
  21. Aug 17, 2005 #20
    So did he ever get there?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?