Solve Airplane & Wind Homework: 640m/s at 57o E of S?

In summary, the problem involves finding the direction and velocity that a plane should fly in order to have a ground velocity of 640m/s at 57o E of S, given a maximum airspeed of 770m/s and a wind velocity of 150m/s at 48o W of S. The equation used is V(plane to wind) + V(wind to ground) = V(airplane to ground). After solving, the answer is 694.11m/s at 20.9 S of E.
nagaromo

Homework Statement

A plane has a max airspeed of 770m/s. If the wind velocity is 150m/s 48o W of S, in what direction and with what velocity should the pilot fly the plane to have a ground velocity of 640m/s at 57o E of S? Can She do it?

Homework Equations

V(plane to wind) + V(wind to ground) = V(airplane to ground)

The Attempt at a Solution

Well, I actually got to some answer, but I need someone to help me check if it is correct. If not, can you please help me?

For velocity and direction I got 686.6m/s at 19o S of E.

Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
nvm i solved it on my own.. i got 694.11m/s 20.9 S of E

1. How do I calculate the velocity of an airplane in wind?

To calculate the velocity of an airplane in wind, you will need to use vector addition. This means adding the velocity of the airplane to the velocity of the wind in a specific direction. The resulting vector will be the velocity of the airplane in wind.

2. What is the formula for solving airplane and wind problems?

The formula for solving airplane and wind problems is: Vp = Vw + Vaws, where Vp is the velocity of the airplane, Vw is the velocity of the wind, and Vaws is the resulting vector of the airplane's velocity in wind.

3. How do I account for the direction of the wind in my calculation?

To account for the direction of the wind in your calculation, you will need to use trigonometry. The angle of the wind (57 degrees in this case) can be used to determine the horizontal and vertical components of the wind's velocity, which can then be added to the velocity of the airplane in the horizontal and vertical directions.

4. What units should I use for velocity in airplane and wind problems?

The units for velocity in airplane and wind problems should be consistent. In this case, the velocity of the airplane is given in meters per second (m/s), so the velocity of the wind should also be in m/s. The resulting velocity of the airplane in wind will also be in m/s.

5. How do I interpret the resulting velocity in airplane and wind problems?

The resulting velocity of the airplane in wind represents the overall velocity and direction of the airplane in the presence of wind. This can be interpreted as the airplane's ground speed and direction, which is important for navigation and flight planning.