1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Airplane at constant velocity

1. Oct 14, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A climber of mass 64.8 kg is rappelling down a cliff, but has momentarily paused. She stands with her feet pressed against the icy, frictionless rock face and her body horizontal. A rope of negligible mass is attached to her near her waist, 1.04 m horizontally from the rock face. There is 5.25 m of rope between her waist and where the rope is attached to a chock in the face of the vertical wall she is descending. Calculate the tension in the rope.

2. Relevant equations
    FL + (-mg cos theta) = 0
    t + (-mg) = ma

3. The attempt at a solution
    I think that I have to find the angle by using cos = adj./hyp. but that answer comes out very small and doesn't seem correct
    or should I find the acceleration first and use t + (-mg) = ma
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 15, 2008 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi lacar213! :smile:

(It would help if you actually showed us what you did … for example, what is your theta? :frown:)

I don't understand what you think the acceleration is … the rock isn't falling, is it? :redface:
  4. Oct 15, 2008 #3

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

1) What isthis titled "airplane at constant velocity"?

2) She has "her body horizontal"? ?? Why?
  5. Oct 15, 2008 #4
    "airplane at constant velocity" was the section in my book where this problem is from
  6. Oct 15, 2008 #5
    The only thing I tried was finding the angle - but that doesn't seem correct, I don't know what to do from there. The equation going along with this problem is looking for LIFT which has nothing to do with the problem given. The tension equation contains acceleration
    T + (-mg) = ma
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?