1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Airplane Banking

1. May 22, 2007 #1
    As your plane circles an airport, it moves in a horizontal circle of radius 2300 m with a speed of 355 km/h. If the lift of the airplane's wings is perpendicular to the wings, at what angle should the plane be banked so that it doesn't tend to slip sideways

So I understand that the equation for determing the angle for banking is usually:

tan-1 ((v2)/gr)* would give me an angle...

What i do not understand about this problem is what exactly does it mean so that the plan will not turn sideways...do i need to set the above equation equal to something??
  2. jcsd
  3. May 22, 2007 #2

Homework Helper

I think it just means at what angle must the plane bank to keep the radius of the circle constant, at the speed given (so the horizontal component of the lift is the central force keeping the plane in the circle).
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?