1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Airplane East-West Flight

1. Oct 26, 2006 #1
    A airplane flight at 2700 miles is schduled to take 50 min longer westward than eastward. THe airspeed is 600 m/hr.

What assumptions about the jet-stream wind velocity presumed to be east or west are made in preparing the schedule?

(what is the wind speed?)

I am going over Halliday and Resnick after more than 20 years(!) and this one is hanging me up. I would appreciate any help anyone here can offer.

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 26, 2006 #2

PhanthomJay

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The assumption would be that the jetstream has a west to east component of velocity rather than an east to west component, which is a reasonable assumption in the mid latitudes of the northern hemisphere (including USA).
    Ground speed traveling east to west is air speed minus west to east compoment of jetstream speed. Ground speed traveling west to east is air speed plus west to east jetstream wind component. You should now be able to solve for the assumed west to east component of the jetstream speed. I haven't done the math, but it ought to be under 100mph. Gee, I had that Halliday and Resnick book 40 years ago!

4. Oct 27, 2006 #3
    HI,

Thanks for your response. As it turns out, it was just an algegra error on my part. "saving time" by doing all the steps in my head!

5. Oct 27, 2006 #4

PhanthomJay

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yup, after i posted i tried to do the math and for some reason it was not that simple. Finally ended up with a jet stream wind component in the 60mph range.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?