Calculating Electric Field Strength in a Thunderstorm

In summary, the electric field at the aircraft flying through a thunderstorm can be calculated by using the superposition of fields from the positive and negative charges present in the storm. The magnitude of the electric field can be found by using the formula kq/r^2, where k is Coulomb's constant, q is the charge, and r is the distance between the point and the charge. The direction of the electric field can be determined by the sign of the charge, with a positive charge resulting in a field pointing away and a negative charge resulting in a field pointing towards the charge. By calculating the electric fields at the charges present in the storm, one can find the resultant electric field at the aircraft by simply adding the two fields together, regardless
itryphysics

Homework Statement

An airplane is flying through a thunderstorm at a height of 1800m. If there are charge concentrations of 40 C at height 3400m within the cloud and -28 C at height 772m, what is the strength of the electric field, E, at the aircraft? Answer in V/m

Homework Equations

E = F/ q

The Attempt at a Solution

I drew a diagram with distances and charges. I know how to find the force between the -28 charge and 40 charge by using coulomb's equation. but what do i plug in for "q" (the charge) in the E=F/q

or is this approach wrong all together?

Physics news on Phys.org
so i thought about it further..

I calculated force using Coulomb's equation and got 1.4579x10^6 N

then using E=F/q i calculated the electric field at each of teh charges (-28 and 40).
Electric field at charge of -28 is 5.20678x10^4
electric field at charge of 40 is 3.64474 x 10 ^4 ..
now how do I use this to get the electric field at the aricraft? Please help me out. Thanks!

The electrical field can be given by kq/r2

The presumption is that the airplane is influenced by charges directly above and below.

To find the total field at the airplane you simply use superposition of the fields at that point. But mind your signs and directions, because the electric field is a vector field.

so since one of the charges is negative , does that mean one of the lectric fields will be negative?

First of all find the distances between positive charge and airplane and negative charge and airplane. Then using the formula provided by LowlyPion in post #3, calculate electric fields on the airplane.
At any point electric field is away from positive charge and towards negative charge.
Now try.

ok so I did all of that. Just to check, Can electric fields be negative?

itryphysics said:
ok so I did all of that. Just to check, Can electric fields be negative?

Yes; the negative sign indicates that the field points in the opposite direction.

For example, an electric field E=-2(N/C) j would have a magnitude |E|=2(N/C) and point in the negative y-direction.

ok that makes sense. Thank you. One more thing, the answer has to be in units of V/m
but the way I worked it out I got N/C units. how would i make the conversion?

1V=1Nm/C

so

1N/C= 1V/m :smile:

Welcome :smile:

unfortunately my answer is still incorrect =(

so for the 3400 m and a charge of +40 , in relation to the aircraft the electric field i calculated was 140469 N/C
And for 772m and a charge of -28 , my electric field was -238194 N/C
So then I added those two and got -97725.6 N/C.
The homework program told me it was "wrong". Please help =(

Using k=8.9876 x 10^9 N/C^2 I get -97699.5 V/m. So it might just be that you are supposed to use a more accurate value for k. Or you might be supposed to write your answer without the negative sign, since the sign indicates the direction of the field rather than the strength of it.

they gave the value of k=8.99 x 10^9 Nm^2/C^2. I tried my answer without the sign and it still said "wrong" =(

Did they specify a number of significant digits to use?

nope. In fact they tell you to not use sig figs or rounding

In that case, I;m not sure where the problem is. I get the same answer as you.

Is the question written word for word as in your first post?

Yes, same wording. the only thing i left out was their given value of coulomb's constant. but i mentioned it in another post..I have no idea what to do =(

Hmmm...strange. I'd ask your prof or TA on this one. Sometimes automated systems are buggy.

Yes, I hope that is the case. Anyhow, Thank you very much once again! =]

[QUOTE=itryphysics;2044009]unfortunately my answer is still incorrect =(

so for the 3400 m and a charge of +40 , in relation to the aircraft the electric field i calculated was 140469 N/C
And for 772m and a charge of -28 , my electric field was -238194 N/C
So then I added those two and got -97725.6 N/C.
The homework program told me it was "wrong". Please help =([/QUOTE]

In the first case the electric field is from +chargs to airplane and in the second case the field is from airplane to negative charge. So they are in the same direction. Therefore you have to add two fields without taking into consideration their signs, to get the resultant field.

rl.bhat said:
In the first case the electric field is from +chargs to airplane and in the second case the field is from airplane to negative charge. So they are in the same direction. Therefore you have to add two fields without taking into consideration their signs, to get the resultant field.

You're right; I can't believe I missed that! :redface:

Thank you SO much! =]

What is an airplane electric field?

An airplane electric field is the electric field created by the movement of an airplane through the Earth's atmosphere. It is caused by the separation of positive and negative charges on the surface of the airplane.

How is an airplane electric field created?

An airplane electric field is created by the friction between the airplane and the air molecules as it moves through the atmosphere. This friction causes the transfer of electrons between the airplane's surface and the air molecules, creating a separation of charges.

Is an airplane electric field dangerous?

Generally, an airplane electric field is not dangerous to passengers or the airplane itself. However, in certain weather conditions such as thunderstorms, the electric field can be stronger and can cause interference with electronic equipment on board the airplane.

How is an airplane electric field measured?

An airplane electric field is measured using a device called an electric field meter. This device measures the strength and direction of the electric field and can be used to monitor any changes in the electric field as the airplane moves through the atmosphere.

Can an airplane electric field affect the Earth's atmosphere?

Yes, an airplane electric field can have a small impact on the Earth's atmosphere. The movement of the airplane through the atmosphere can disturb the electric field and can also cause small changes in the distribution of charged particles in the atmosphere. However, these effects are minimal and do not have a significant impact on the environment.