Help with Physics of Airplane Flight - Glider Planes, Lift/Drag/Air Resistance

In summary, the conversation revolves around finding information and formulas related to the physics of airplane flight, particularly in regards to lift, drag, and air resistance. The individual has had difficulty finding sources that include formulas while also accounting for air resistance. A helpful source within NASA.gov is recommended, and clarification is given regarding the issue with finding formulas that include air resistance. The individual is grateful for the provided link.
Inspector Gadget
I need help with the physics of airplane flight with lift, drag, etc. I can find a lot of information about it, but I can't find any formulas...probably because everything I've found neglects air resistance.

Can anyone provide links to sites that would help with this?

I'm looking for info particularly in glider planes, sort of like the ones the Wright Bros. flew.

Thanks for any help.

Science news on Phys.org
NASA has always been my favorite source for such info. This site within NASA.gov has a lot of links and should tell you whatever you need to know.

BTW, are you saying that all the sources you've found talk about lift-to-drag ratios while neglecting air resistance? Not only is that shamefull, I don't even see how it's possible!

Could you give a link, I'm curios as to how this was accomplished.

Sorry, I worded that incorrectly. I meant to say that I couldn't find any formulas, and the few sites I do find formulas for do so neglecting air resistance (which, just by looking at the the formulas they gave without really looking into it, simply make it Newton's Law's with different variables).

That site has exactly what I'm looking for...thanks for the help.

What is the principle behind airplane flight?

The principle behind airplane flight is Bernoulli's principle, which states that as the speed of a fluid (such as air) increases, its pressure decreases. This creates an area of low pressure above the wings of an airplane, causing lift and allowing the plane to stay in the air.

What are the main forces acting on a glider plane during flight?

The main forces acting on a glider plane are lift, weight, drag, and thrust. Lift is created by the shape of the wings and helps keep the plane in the air. Weight is the force of gravity pulling the plane towards the ground. Drag is the resistance of the air against the plane's motion, and thrust is the forward force created by the plane's engines or by gravity in the case of a glider.

How do glider planes maintain altitude without an engine?

Glider planes maintain altitude by using rising air currents known as thermals. These thermals are created by the sun heating the ground, causing warm air to rise. Glider pilots can use their knowledge of these thermals to stay in the air and even gain altitude without the use of an engine.

What role does air resistance play in glider airplane flight?

Air resistance, also known as drag, plays a crucial role in glider airplane flight. It is the force that opposes the motion of the glider through the air and can greatly affect the speed and efficiency of the flight. Pilots must carefully consider the amount of drag on their glider and make adjustments to minimize it in order to achieve the best possible flight.

How do glider planes differ from powered airplanes in terms of flight?

Glider planes differ from powered airplanes in that they do not have an engine to provide thrust. Instead, they rely on natural forces such as thermals and gravity to stay in the air. Glider pilots also have to be more strategic in their flying to maintain altitude and achieve the desired flight path. Powered airplanes have more control over their speed and direction through the use of engines.