Airplane & Frequency of Sound

In summary, to find the frequency a stationary listener hears a sound emitted by an airplane traveling at 154 m/s, with a frequency of 5.20 kHz, use the Doppler-effect formula based on whether the plane is approaching or passing.
PhysicsHatesMe01
I've got another one.

An airplane traveling at v = 154 m/s emits a sound of frequency 5.20 kHz. At what frequency does a stationary listener hear the sound during each of the following times? (Use 344 m/s as the speed of sound.)

1) as the plan approaches (kHz)
2) after it passes (kHz)

What equation do I use to solve this?

Basically, I'm at a loss for almost all of my homework problems. My prof goes through the chapters during lecture, but he doesn't do very many examples which is why this class is causing me problems.

-- NVM. I figured it out :)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
PhysicsHatesMe01 said:
I've got another one.

-- NVM. I figured it out :)
Good job. See! Physics loves you! :biggrin:

PhysicsHatesMe01 said:
I've got another one.

An airplane traveling at v = 154 m/s emits a sound of frequency 5.20 kHz. At what frequency does a stationary listener hear the sound during each of the following times? (Use 344 m/s as the speed of sound.)

1) as the plan approaches (kHz)
2) after it passes (kHz)

For approaching, the formula for the Doppler-effect is different than for passing, since for approaching the frequencty the listener hears is getting higher --> mulitply with [tex] \frac {v} {v-v_{source}}[/tex] and when passing the frequence gets lower --> multiply with [tex] \frac {v} {v + v_{source}}[/tex]

1. How does the shape and size of an airplane affect the frequency of sound it produces?

The shape and size of an airplane can greatly affect the frequency of sound it produces. Generally, larger and more aerodynamic airplanes tend to produce lower frequencies of sound while smaller and less aerodynamic airplanes produce higher frequencies. This is due to the fact that larger and more aerodynamic airplanes create less turbulence and therefore produce less noise.

2. How do changes in altitude affect the frequency of sound produced by an airplane?

As an airplane gains altitude, the air becomes less dense which can greatly affect the frequency of sound it produces. This is because sound travels more slowly in less dense air, causing the frequency to decrease. Additionally, an airplane's engine may have to work harder at higher altitudes which can also impact the frequency of sound it produces.

3. What factors can contribute to the loudness of an airplane's sound?

There are several factors that can contribute to the loudness of an airplane's sound. These include the size and speed of the airplane, the type and efficiency of its engine, and the angle of its wings. External factors such as weather conditions and the surface the airplane is flying over can also impact the loudness of its sound.

4. How does the speed of an airplane affect the frequency of sound it produces?

The speed of an airplane can have a significant impact on the frequency of sound it produces. As an airplane increases in speed, the frequency of sound produced also increases. This is due to the Doppler effect, which causes the sound waves to compress and produce a higher frequency as the airplane moves towards the listener.

5. Can the frequency of sound produced by an airplane be harmful to humans?

While the frequency of sound produced by an airplane may be loud and annoying, it is not considered harmful to humans. The frequency produced by most airplanes falls within the range of normal human hearing and does not reach levels that can cause damage to the ears. However, prolonged exposure to high levels of noise can have negative effects on hearing and overall health.