1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Airplane magnitude and direction

1. Jun 6, 2005 #1
    Hi,

The Question:

An airplane is heading due south at a speed of 600km/h. If a wind begins blowing from the southwest at a speed of 100km/h (average), calculate: (a) the velocity(magnitude and direction) of the plane relative to the ground, and (b) how far from its intended position will it be after 10 min if teh pilot takes no correct action. (c) In what direction shoudl the pilot aim the plane so that it will fly due south.

In this particular question I'm having problems setting up the problem. I set my problem up in a cartesian coordinate system, where I put 600 km/h going south are in the negative direction on the y-axis. For the wind I put it in (III) coordinate area. Now to calculate the problem would I use the pythagorean theorem.

Work:

y^2 + z^2= x^2
    (100)^2+ (600)^2=608.28 km/h

Is this correct?

Thank You

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 6, 2005 #2
    Yeah you could use the pythagorean theorem if you apply it to the right triangle. If you know how to add vector components that would be the best bet.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?