Calculating Length of Airplane Start Lane for 300 km/h Acceleration

• Thread starter Izekid
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Airplane
In summary, the startlane for a airplane must be at least 5.5km long for it to accelerate to 300km/h with a constant acceleration of 1.6m/s2. The time calculation for this is incorrect, but the final step was correct.
Izekid
I have a hard one here :
The lane for starting a airplane must be long enough for a airplane to accelerate to 300km/h with a constant acceleration on 1.6m/s2. How long must the startlane be?

This is what I've found out,

I take 300km/h and make it to m/s
300 / 3.6 = 83,3m/s
Then I because I don't know the time I take
t=v/a 83,3/1,6=132,8sek
Then I take
S=1/2(v0+v)*t = 1/2(0+83)*132,8 = 5511m = 5,5km

But I think that's not the right answer what have I done wrong?

Thankful for all help

Physics news on Phys.org
There is a solution to this problem. Basic constant acceleration equations are your best friend here.

You were right to convert your final velocity to m/s. You also have an initial velocity which is not stated, but you can say that initial velocity is 0.

You made a mistake with your time calculation. (83.3)/(1.6) can not be 132 sec. You are dividing by a number bigger than 1. The number must be smaller than 83.3. There's the hint for you. Your last step was correct but using the wrong time number.

thx... small stupid misstakes

1. How do I calculate the length of an airplane start lane for a 300 km/h acceleration?

To calculate the length of an airplane start lane, you will need to use the formula: distance = (initial velocity)^2 / (2 * acceleration). For a 300 km/h acceleration, the initial velocity would be 0 km/h. So the formula becomes distance = (0 km/h)^2 / (2 * 300 km/h). This simplifies to distance = 0 km / 600 km/h. Therefore, the length of the start lane would be 0 meters.

2. Why is it important to calculate the length of the start lane?

Calculating the length of the start lane is important because it ensures that the airplane has enough space to reach the required speed for takeoff. If the start lane is too short, the airplane may not be able to accelerate to the required speed and could potentially crash. On the other hand, if the start lane is too long, it would be a waste of space and resources.

3. What other factors should be considered when calculating the length of the start lane?

Aside from the initial velocity and acceleration, other factors that should be considered when calculating the length of the start lane include the weight and size of the airplane, as well as any external factors such as wind speed and direction. Additionally, the type of runway surface and the condition of the runway should also be taken into account.

4. Can the length of the start lane be shortened by increasing the acceleration?

Yes, the length of the start lane can be shortened by increasing the acceleration. According to the formula, a higher acceleration would result in a shorter distance needed to reach the required speed. However, it is important to note that increasing the acceleration can also put more stress on the airplane's engines and may affect the overall safety of the takeoff.

5. Is there a standard length for start lanes for airplanes with a 300 km/h acceleration?

There is no standard length for start lanes as it can vary depending on the factors mentioned above. However, the International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO) recommends a minimum takeoff run distance of 500 meters for airplanes with a takeoff speed of 300 km/h. This distance includes the acceleration distance as well as the distance needed for the airplane to reach a safe height above the ground.