1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Airplane Takeoff, Find Thrust

1. Feb 11, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

An Airbus A320 jetliner has a takeoff mass of 75,000 kg. It reaches its takeoff speed of 82 m/s in 35s.

2. Relevant equations

F=ma
    V/t=a

3. The attempt at a solution

I am completely lost on this question. I have seen numerous examples on the internet, with the exact problem, but no one has gotten the correct answer. After two hours and 20+ wrong answers I gave up and opted to see the answer. However, I would like to know how it was solved. Here is what I did that got me close to the right answer.

Solved for acceleration indepentant of friction. Which was 82/35 giving me 2.343m/s^2.

I plugged that in for f(thrust)=ma -> (75,000)(2.343) = 175,725 N.

This is too low and doesn't involve rolling friction. From a table in my book I figured rolling friction was 0.020 for rubber on concrete. I then solved for the friction.

m=75,000
    g=9.80
    f=0.020

F=ma -> F=(75,000)(9.80)(0.020) = 14,700N

Since the thrust will have to include overcoming friction the whole time, I add those two values and get 190,425 N.

This is the only way I can come close to the actual answer. I've done it a bunch of different ways, none were within 20k of the answer.

How should one actually solve this?

The answer given is 190,000N.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 11, 2010 #2
    !!!
    [tex] F =/= ma [/tex]
    [tex] F_{net}=ma[/tex]

So expanding Fnet gives us
    [tex] F_t -F_f = ma [/tex]
    Plugging everything in gives us a thrust of 190 000 N.

4. Feb 11, 2010 #3
    Did I have the value for friction right?

Because using my values and your expansion, I get the same answer I had before...

5. Feb 11, 2010 #4
    I would imagine the answer is using two sig figs since all numbers are given with two sig figs.

6. Feb 11, 2010 #5
    That makes sense, thanks for the help. I'll try the problem again later and see if I remember it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook