1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Airplane towing a glider

1. Feb 23, 2005 #1
    I am still having troubles with newtons laws and i work with the problems but get an answer but don't know if it is the right one and just want to check my work with yours to see if I am correct.

An airplance with a mass of 1.2 x 10^4 kg tows a glider with a mass of .60 x 10^4 kg. If the airplace propellers provide a net forward thrust of 3.6 x 10^4 N, what is the acceleration of the glider? I believe the answer is 6.0 m/s^2, but not for sure if it right or not.

An Olympic skier moving at 20.0 m/s down a 30.0 degree slope encounters a region of wet snow and slides 145 m before coming to a halt. What is the coefficient of friction between the skies and the snow? I believe it is .740.

Two perpendicular forces, one of 45.0 N directed upward and the second of 60.0 N directed to the right, act simultaneously on an object with a mass of 35.0 kg. What is the magnitude of the resultant acceleration of the object? This I believe is 1.41 m/s^2.

All I am wanting is to see someone else's work on how they got their answer so I can see where I messed up or if I did them correctly or not. Thanks for the help.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 23, 2005 #2
    Your first and third are wrong. Why don't you show your work and we see what you did wrong?

--J

4. Feb 24, 2005 #3
    The reason is that when I tell someone else my work it doesn't make sense to them and I just started to ask to see someone elses to see where my mistake(s) where. that is the reason behind it.

5. Feb 24, 2005 #4
    Have you not convinced yourself that your answer is totally correct? If not, why not? You shouldn't be able to spot problems in your own work by looking at others', you should be able to spot problems in others' work by looking at others'. Barring silly algebra mistakes, of course.

Show your work.

--J

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?