Calculating Centripetal Acceleration & Time in Supersonic Airplane Turn

In summary, the centripetal acceleration of the airplane is 9.8 m/s2 when it turns from North to East on a circular path with a radius of 86.5 km.
BuBbLeS01

Homework Statement

A supersonic airplane is flying horizontally at a speed of 2840 km/h. What is the centripetal acceleration of the airplane, if it turns from North to East on a circular path with a radius of 86.5 km?
How much time does the turn take?
How much distance does the airplane cover during the turn?

Homework Equations

a = v^2/r

The Attempt at a Solution

I got the acceleration which = 7.9 m/s but for calculating the time can I use Wf = Wo + at and use 90 degree for the initial and 0 for the final to solve for t

Physics news on Phys.org
No I think you need to use:
[tex]v=\frac{2R \pi}{T}[/tex]

where T is the time to make 1 rotation, in your problem the plane doesn't make a full rotation so the T you need will be a fraction of the original T depending on how much of a rotation the plane makes

I am getting a really large number, 688.94 s, that doesn't seem logical?
I did...
(2 * 86500m * pi)/788.89 m/s

well that's to make 1 full rotation but the plane doesn't make a full rotation.
from N to E is how many degree's? or what fraction of the entire x-y plane?
take that fraction and multiply that time by it and you'll get the time to make just that part of the rotation.

Oh okay so that's for a full revolution ok I got it then, just multiply by 1/4. Thank you.

okay so for the third part of the question to find the distance can we use...
W = (2pi/T) * (1/4)
W = Change in theta/Change in time

Hm..well if the plane travel's 1/4 of the circular path that should be 1/4 of the diameter of the circle?

I've never seen those equations you're using but I've just learned circular motion from the book so far until Tuesday.

I just tried 1/4 of the diameter but it says incorrect :( I don't know what to use.

1. How do airplanes turn in the air?

Airplanes turn by banking or tilting their wings, which changes the direction of the lift force and causes the plane to change direction. The pilot uses the ailerons, which are small hinged panels on the back of the wings, to control the banking motion and turn the airplane.

2. What factors affect an airplane's turning radius?

The turning radius of an airplane is affected by several factors, including the speed of the airplane, the angle of bank, the weight of the airplane, and the design of the wings. A higher speed and steeper angle of bank will result in a smaller turning radius, while a heavier airplane and wings with more lift will result in a larger turning radius.

3. Can airplanes turn without banking?

No, airplanes cannot turn without banking. Banking is necessary to change the direction of the lift force and cause the plane to turn. Without banking, the airplane would continue flying in a straight line.

4. How does the wind affect an airplane's turning?

The wind can have a significant impact on an airplane's turning. A strong crosswind can cause the airplane to drift off course and make it more difficult for the pilot to control the banking and turning. Pilots must take the wind into account and make adjustments to their flying techniques to compensate for its effects.

5. What is the difference between a coordinated and uncoordinated turn?

A coordinated turn is when the airplane is banked and turning while maintaining a balanced flight path, with the nose and tail pointed in the same direction. An uncoordinated turn is when the airplane is not properly banked, causing the nose and tail to point in different directions. This can result in a skidding or slipping motion, which can be dangerous if not corrected by the pilot.