1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Airplane Vectors problem

1. Nov 18, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

An airplane flying North at 119.7 m/s encounters a 46.8 m/s tailwind. If the plane's destination is 573 km due North, what will its travel time be?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I added the two velocities: 166.5 m/s. Then divided that by 573000, but that's not right becasue I get a very small number of seconds. What I am doing wrong.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 18, 2009 #2
    Velocity = Change in position / Change in time

Change in time = Change in position / velocity

I think you were doing velocity / change in position instead.

4. Nov 18, 2009 #3

your doing your math wrong.
    if the plane is going at 166.5 m/s, convert that to km ---->166.5m/s(1km/1000m).
    you should get a low number (something like 0.16.....), and thats how many km the plane goes in 1 second.
    It would also make it easier if you change seconds to hours (multiply by 3600 since there are 3600 seconds per hour), or just keep it as km/seconds if you would rather that.
    Anyways, you should get around 599 km/hour, and then you can calculate how much time that it would take if you the distance is 573km, and the plane is going around 599km/hr.

check that though, i just did it in my head, so my math could be way off
    or i could be completely wrong :redface:

hope that helped

Last edited: Nov 18, 2009
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook