What measures is Britain taking to increase security after recent attacks?

• Thread starter wolram
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Security
In summary: This morning, two bombs were detonated at an airport in Glasgow, Scotland. Although it's still too early to say for sure, this appears to be a copycat attack on the heels of recent terrorist incidents in London. In order to increase security, many major airports throughout the United States have increased security measures, including increased patrols and the use of metal detectors. At the same time, it's important to remember that there must be a balance between increased security and the economic costs, including delays or disruption.
wolram
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
http://news.monstersandcritics.com/uk/news/article_1324460.php/Britain_steps_up_security_after_Glasgow_airport_attack__2nd_Roundup_ [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Sadly there is no shortage of nuts in the world.

There was speculation that this was linked with the potential london car-bombings yesterday, due to the similarities (cans of petrol in the cars being one of them). However, I think it's just a coincidence that these two decided to do this today.

cristo said:
There was speculation that this was linked with the potential london car-bombings yesterday, due to the similarities (cans of petrol in the cars being one of them). However, I think it's just a coincidence that these two decided to do this today.
Could be copycat. It didn't sound like much in common.

Evo said:
It didn't sound like much in common.

Yea, it didn't sound too similar to me either. However, I've just checked the BBC website and come across this: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6257606.stm. Apparently they were linked, arrests have been made in other parts of the country, and now we're on the highest security level.

Yesterday, I suspected that the bombs weren't supposed to go off, and that this was meant to unsettle the new government, but now I'm not so sure.

They stepped up security in NY airports big time; the same goes for the subways. But the bad part is that all the extra security presence will be gone in a couple months time. Its just a shame that they have to wait for something to happen to take some extra preventative measures.

ranger said:
They stepped up security in NY airports big time; the same goes for the subways. But the bad part is that all the extra security presence will be gone in a couple months time. Its just a shame that they have to wait for something to happen to take some extra preventative measures.
There has to be a balance between extra security and the economic costs, including delays or disruption.

I am sure that these days, intelligence services are working to thwart terrorist attacks.

Unfortunately, there seems to be no shortage of those who are motivated to commit terrorist acts.

1. What prompted Britain to step up security?

Britain stepped up security in response to an increase in terrorist threats and attacks throughout Europe.

2. What specific measures is Britain taking to increase security?

Britain is increasing police presence in public areas, implementing more stringent border control measures, and conducting more thorough checks on individuals suspected of terrorist activity.

3. How will these security measures impact everyday life in Britain?

There may be longer lines and wait times at airports and other public places, and increased police presence may be noticeable. However, the goal is to maintain safety and minimize disruption as much as possible.

4. Is this increase in security permanent or temporary?

At this time, it is difficult to determine whether these measures will be temporary or permanent. It largely depends on the ongoing threat level and any changes in the security landscape.

5. How does Britain's security compare to other countries in Europe?

Every country has its own unique security measures in place, and it is difficult to make direct comparisons. However, Britain is actively working with other European countries to share intelligence and coordinate efforts to combat terrorism.