Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Airport shopping trolleys.

1. Jun 17, 2006 #1
    Hi there.

What is the braking mechanism called used in trolleys/ especially in airport trolleys where you pull the handle to stop the wheels? And how does it work?

Cheers

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 17, 2006 #2

Danger

Gold Member

I'm afraid that I've never seen one, so I don't know. It's unlikely, however, that they use anything exotic like calipers or brake drums. On 'walkers' for the elderly, or wheelchairs, it's generally just a rubber-coated steel bar that gets pulled against the tire.

4. Jun 17, 2006 #3

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

A brake mechanism works by friction. If they have brakes, it may be a leaver system, much like a hand brake in a car. The service carts on planes have a lever type brake system. One lever is pressed to lock the brake on, and another lever is pressed to release the brake.

5. Jun 17, 2006 #4

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

I have not seen what you are referring to. However, I would think that it would be something similar to what you see in a bicycle.

6. Jun 18, 2006 #5

brewnog

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The ones I've seen are just a simple rod-operated brake which clamps the wheel from both sides by two circular rubber discs. You don't really need the progressive control you have with a car or a bike, they're pretty crude, clunky, and on/off.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?