1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Airport shopping trolleys.

1. Jun 17, 2006 #1
    Hi there.

What is the braking mechanism called used in trolleys/ especially in airport trolleys where you pull the handle to stop the wheels? And how does it work?

Cheers

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 17, 2006 #2

Danger

Gold Member

I'm afraid that I've never seen one, so I don't know. It's unlikely, however, that they use anything exotic like calipers or brake drums. On 'walkers' for the elderly, or wheelchairs, it's generally just a rubber-coated steel bar that gets pulled against the tire.

4. Jun 17, 2006 #3

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

A brake mechanism works by friction. If they have brakes, it may be a leaver system, much like a hand brake in a car. The service carts on planes have a lever type brake system. One lever is pressed to lock the brake on, and another lever is pressed to release the brake.

5. Jun 17, 2006 #4

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

I have not seen what you are referring to. However, I would think that it would be something similar to what you see in a bicycle.

6. Jun 18, 2006 #5

brewnog

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The ones I've seen are just a simple rod-operated brake which clamps the wheel from both sides by two circular rubber discs. You don't really need the progressive control you have with a car or a bike, they're pretty crude, clunky, and on/off.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?