Airstream Modeling with Comsol: Problems & Solutions

• Thread starter 1234frank1234
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Comsol
In summary: What errors are you getting? Also what modules are you using?Incompressible, weakly compressible, or compressible? I've never modeled air streams before but the physics of it are relatively simple and you should at least get some type of answer.Sorry for the late reply.I have tried both incompressible and weakly compressible.After the error occurred i do get a result but i think it is questionable how much i can rely on that.The errors i get are: Failed to find a solution: No convergence, even when using the minimum damping factor. Returned solution has not converged.
1234frank1234
I'm making a model in Comsol.
In it air streams from a pressure chamber through a small jet (1 mm).
It seems i am having problems with it because i can't get the tolerance or getting different errors.
I have revined the mesh as much as the computer can handle but i stil don't make it.
Is this a comon problem with simulating a airstream or do i need some different solver or so?

Engineering news on Phys.org
What errors are you getting? Also what modules are you using? Incompressible, weakly compressible, or compressible? I've never modeled air streams before but the physics of it are relatively simple and you should at least get some type of answer.

Sorry for the late reply.
I have tried both incompressible and weakly compressible.
After the error occurred i do get a result but i think it is questionable how much i can rely on that.
The errors i get are:

Failed to find a solution:
No convergence, even when using the minimum damping factor.
Returned solution has not converged.

Also it happens that i can run it for ages with iterations above 1000 and i still didn't get a result.

Last edited:
It sounds like a solution can not be found for your model. Are you using only the navier-stokes module? If not, try solving the modules one at a time using the solver manager. If your only use the one, then you need to simply/modify your model so a solution can be found. Comsol is pretty good about converging and usually does so rather quickly. If it can't find a solution there s a good chance something is wrong with your model.

does this use a moving mesh?

Were you able to model your problem? I am also working on a similar project and can't model the air jet when it comes out of the nozzle at low pressure.

1234frank1234 said:
I'm making a model in Comsol.
In it air streams from a pressure chamber through a small jet (1 mm).
It seems i am having problems with it because i can't get the tolerance or getting different errors.
I have revined the mesh as much as the computer can handle but i stil don't make it.
Is this a comon problem with simulating a airstream or do i need some different solver or so?

1. How does Comsol help with Airstream modeling?

Comsol is a powerful simulation software that allows scientists and engineers to create accurate models of airstreams. It uses computational fluid dynamics (CFD) to solve complex fluid flow problems and provides a user-friendly interface for setting up and analyzing the models.

2. What types of problems can be solved with Airstream modeling using Comsol?

Comsol can be used to solve a wide range of problems related to airstreams, such as fluid flow and heat transfer in aerodynamics, HVAC systems, and environmental engineering. It can also be used for optimizing designs and predicting the performance of airflow systems.

3. How accurate are the results obtained from Airstream modeling with Comsol?

The accuracy of the results obtained from Airstream modeling with Comsol depends on the quality of the inputs and assumptions used in the model. With proper calibration and validation, Comsol can provide highly accurate results that closely match real-world experiments and data.

4. Can Comsol handle complex geometries in Airstream modeling?

Yes, Comsol has the capability to handle complex 3D geometries in Airstream modeling. It offers a variety of tools for creating and importing geometries, as well as meshing options to ensure accurate representation of the geometry in the model.

5. How can Comsol help in troubleshooting Airstream problems?

Comsol can be a valuable tool for troubleshooting Airstream problems by allowing scientists to simulate different scenarios and identify the root cause of the issue. It also provides visualization tools to help identify areas of concern and optimize designs for better performance.