Can an explosion outside an airtight tank affect the air pressure inside?

In summary: If the walls don't deform, ie are infiniely rigid, then no sound can penetrate.In summary, the pressure inside a tank might fluctuate a little due to the shockwave from an explosive detonation, but unless the tank is actually deformed by the detonation, it will return to normal in a fraction of a second.
sohai
Hi everyone! Here's something that has been bothering me for quite some time now:
If you detonate an explosive device outside a completely airtight tank, what happens to the air pressure inside? Does the shockwave traveling through the wall of the tank have a notable effect on the pressure inside?

Physics news on Phys.org
Depends on how strong the tank is. And how elastic.

The pressure might flucuate a little due to vibration while the tank is being subjected to the insult, but unless the tank is actually deformed by the detonation, it will return to normal in a fraction of a second.

So if I sat inside the tank (which would not deform, only vibrate), I wouldn't end up with my eyes and ears bleeding?

In your question you said completely airtight, implying completely impervious to the explosion. You'd notice nothing.

If the tank were slighly less than completely impervious, you'd get a shock wave traveling through the tank like being inside a big bass drum. Powerful enough and yes, it could rupture your eardrums...and maybe everything else inside your body.

If the tank were not so impervious, it would be crushed, of course.

If it can't deform there wouldn't be any change in pressure so your ears would be ok.
Of course if the bang was big enough to throw the tank 100feet up in the air you might feel it!

Airtight does not imply great structural integrity. The others have all touched upon what would be my main concern. Even if the container seal remains intact, the whole thing thing could be crushed to the extent that the internal pressure would rise significantly. Think of it as being similar to the pressure spike inside a football at the instance that it's kicked.

russ_watters said:
In your question you said completely airtight, implying completely impervious to the explosion.
How does this follow? What does airtight have to do with impervious?

The air pressure rising is not of any concern. For a deformation large enough to change the air pressure, the deformation itself will injure or kill you. What is of concern is the shock wave.

DaveC426913 said:
For a deformation large enough to change the air pressure, the deformation itself will injure or kill you. What is of concern is the shock wave.

I might be missing something here, but I disagree. If you're not in contact with the deforming material, it shouldn't affect you at all; there wouldn't be any mechanical transfer of energy to your body. As a 'for instance', what about if you're suspended in a hammock or elastic net? If the pressure increase is rapid enough, though, it could still cause damage even it isn't a lot above atmospheric.

I think if the tank is rigid enough and air tight that the shock wave won't do much. However I think the sound waves from the blast may still penetrate the walls of the tank where they could do what they will. Might lose your hearing after all.

Idjot said:
However I think the sound waves from the blast may still penetrate the walls of the tank where they could do what they will.
If the walls don't deform, ie are infiniely rigid, then no sound can penetrate.

The original question didn't mention anything about the walls being even semi-rigid, let alone 'infinitely' rigid.

sohai said:
So if I sat inside the tank (which would not deform, only vibrate), I wouldn't end up with my eyes and ears bleeding?

mgb_phys said:
If the walls don't deform, ie are infiniely rigid, then no sound can penetrate.

First of all, a wall doesn't have to be 'infinitely rigid' to resist deformation.

Secondly, it doesn't take the compression of a shock wave to destroy a person's hearing so where the air might not compress in the tank very much, the noise could still be dangerously loud, especially inside a tank where it will reverberate.

Thirdly, I seriously hope we're not contributing to a dangerous experiment here.

lol​

On his second post he said - if the walls can't deform - I was pointing out that if there is no deformation there can be no sound transferred.
To experience no deformation with a finite applied force they have to be infinitely rigid, of course a real wall might suffer not permament plastic deformation from a sound but have some elastic deformation to allow any energy to be transferred.

mgb_phys said:
On his second post he said - if the walls can't deform

That one slipped past me. Now that I've read it, though, it's self-contradictory. He says that the walls can't deform, only vibrate. Vibration is deformation.

Danger said:
Vibration is deformation.
I think we've been treating deformation as meaning inelastic.

DaveC426913 said:
I think we've been treating deformation as meaning inelastic.

:confused: I thought that any deformation was inelastic. Or does that mean something different here than in a collision?

Danger said:
:confused: I thought that any deformation was inelastic.
Permanent deformation is inelastic. Elastic would still deform the surface and then it would spring back - like a drum skin

i.e.
elastic = springy deformation = vibration
inelastic = permanent deformation = dent

My bad; I misinterpreted the terms. My understanding of elastic collision was that there was no loss of kinetic energy. Since a deformation has to convert some of that to heat (if only through intermolecular friction), I figured that it would be inelastic. Thanks for the correction.

DaveC426913 said:
How does this follow? What does airtight have to do with impervious?
Danger said:
Airtight does not imply great structural integrity.
Yes, you guys are right - it doesn't necessarily follow.

Sorry for my bad english and wrong way of thinking. By saying that the tank would not deform, only vibrate I meant that the tank would not collapse --> the pressure inside would not increase significally because of a great decrease in volume.

edit: So I think the concept that I mean is elastic or springy deformation or whatever it is called

Last edited:

1. What is an airtight tank?

An airtight tank is a container that is designed to prevent air or gas from entering or escaping. It is often used to store substances that need to be protected from external elements, such as oxygen or moisture.

2. What causes an explosion in an airtight tank?

An explosion in an airtight tank can be caused by various factors, including high pressure, chemical reactions, or external heat sources. When the pressure inside the tank exceeds its limit, it can rupture the walls and cause an explosion.

3. How does an airtight tank differ from a regular tank?

An airtight tank is designed to maintain a sealed environment, while a regular tank may have openings or vents. Airtight tanks are also often stronger and more durable, as they need to withstand high pressures without leaking or rupturing.

4. Can an airtight tank prevent explosions?

While an airtight tank can help contain explosions by preventing the release of gases, it cannot completely prevent an explosion from occurring. If the pressure inside the tank becomes too high, it can still rupture and cause an explosion.

5. How can the risk of explosions in airtight tanks be minimized?

The risk of explosions in airtight tanks can be minimized by regularly inspecting and maintaining the tank, ensuring proper ventilation and pressure control, and following safety protocols when handling hazardous substances. It is also important to monitor the temperature and pressure inside the tank to prevent any build-up that could lead to an explosion.